Progress continues on wiring

I’ve neglected to post over the past week. Been a busy week at work. I have made some good progress though.

I vinyl-wrapped the fuse block panel and screwed the fuse block into it. I made a bus bar from a strip of copper to tie together the upper and lower buses of the fuse block.

 

I drilled some system holes through the left seat ribs, installed snap bushings, and ran the pitot and AOA lines from the wing root to the panel.

 

Drilled a couple of system holes in the lower sub-panel. Routed the the wires for the battery backup. Terminated the grounds for the the IBBS and the IBBS master switch.

 

Made up the connectors for the GTX 45R transponder and the GTN 625 GPS. I also started on the GTR 200B COM radio but didn’t get a picture.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Finish Kit (hours): 112.0
Total Time (hours): 842.0

 

Work continues on baggage area

Fabricated the seat back hinges and match drilled to the floor skins.

img_3776

 

Deburred, Scuffed, and primed all of the parts.

img_3777

 

Dimpled the floor skins and riveted the nut plates in place.

 

Installed snap bushing and routed the rudder cables, static line, and ELT wire.

img_3780

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 149.0
Total Time (hours): 603.5

Completed left wingtip–Almost

All the things I did to the right wing yesterday, I did to the left wing today.

 

 

Thought I was finally at th end of the wings… but ran into another snag. When I was countersinking the screw holes in the tip, I hit a thin spot in the fiberglass and the countersink caught and made a giant hole. So I made a fiberglass patch. I’ll fill in the other side with some micro once the patch sets up. Then I can install the final nut plate and be done with the wings!

 

 

Traveling this week. So I will begin work on the fuselage next weekend.

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 298.0
Total Time (hours): 450.0

 

Completed systems routing

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 10.23.29 AM

Wired the right wing for the nav, strobe, and landing lights. Also ran the wires for the autopilot servo.

 

In the left wing I ran the wiring for the nav, strobe, and landing lights. I also ran the wiring for the ADAHRS and the plastic line for the pitot tube. Decided to drill a couple of extra routing hole in order to mount the pitot tube outboard of the aileron bellcrank in order to avoid interference with the aileron push tube. I omitted the wire for the stall warning system since I didn’t install it in the leading edge. The Garmin system has an AOA sensor as part of the pitot system. So no need.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 140.0
Total Time (hours): 351.0

 

 

Finished riveting side skins and installed systems

Finished riveting the side skins! Remy came down and bucked that last row that I couldn’t reach solo.

IMG_1979

 

Ran the rudder cables, wiring harness, and ELT antenna cable.

IMG_1980

Remy helped rivet the rudder stops.

IMG_1981

Installed the rudder cable guide blocks.

IMG_1982

Installed the nut plates along the longerons. I didn’t rivet the nut plates for the cover plates because I decided to use countersunk screws and needed to order the correct nut plates from Van’s.

IMG_1983

I installed the static ports. Here’s one from the outside.

IMG_1984

…and from the inside. The static ports are actually pop rivets. I set the rivets and then used the broken off part of the mandrel to drive out the part that remained in the rivet.  I drilled a 1/4″ hole in a piece of scrap wood and used it as a backing block and tapped the mandrel out with a small hammer.

After I took this picture, I added a fillet of silicone around the tube and fitting per the instructions.

IMG_1985

While preparing to install the static system, I wasn’t paying attention to the instructions and cut the polypropylene tubing instead of the clear tubing. So I ordered a replacement from Van’s along with my nut plates.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 8.0
Empennage Time (hours): 170.0
Total Time (hours): 170.0