Dimpled all the ribs and stiffeners

Got my rivet set and AD5 rivets from spruce and replaced the rivets I removed after screwing up last week. See Finished riveting everything to the rear spars… almost.

img_2397

Dimpled all the ribs in both wings…

 

…and the J-channel stiffeners

img_2400

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Wing Time (hours): 75.5
Total Time (hours): 286.5

Riveted rear spars to ribs and started on top skins

Riveted the rear spars to the wing ribs. I tried to use the squeezer but it was cumbersome with several different rivet sizes and with the flanges in the way. So I switched to the gun. This was much easier.

img_2382

 

And of course, no section is complete without a few mistakes. I used the wrong size rivets in ribs behind the doublers. I used 4-4’s and needed 4-5’s the shop heads were too thin to be acceptable. So I drilled them all out. Nine rivets in total. I couldn’t punch the rivets out because there was nothing to back them up when I hit them with the punch. So I had to drill them all the way out. I was super careful but the holes are enlarged ever so slightly. If this wasn’t a critical structure, I’d probably just re-rivet it but this area carries the load from the ailerons and flaps. So I’ll go with a larger river to ensure structural soundness. I order some -5 rivets, a #21 drill, and a 5/32″ rivet set from Spruce.

img_2383

 

I clecoed the wing walk doubles and inboard top skins to the spars and ribs.

img_2384

 

I also put in an order with Van’s for some fuel tank sealant.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 69.0
Total Time (hours): 280.0

Fixed the right aileron hinge and riveted to rear spar

Did some flying with Jared today in his RV-14A. Awesome day dancing around some scattered clouds and some fun aerobatics. Thanks for the great flight today, Jared! The aerobatic training is definitely paying off. Sorry no pics. I was having too much fun!

Meanwhile back at the airplane factory…

Received the replacement parts from vans and did the little bit of fabrication necessary to prepare the doublers and attach brackets.

img_2369

Deburred and primed the new parts with SEM rattle can primer. Riveted the attach brackets to the hinge.

img_2372

 

Riveted the hinge and doublers to the right rear spar.

img_2373

 

The mistake cost me $45 in parts and an hour and a half of build time.

img_2376

 

Got my new 3/8″ reamer from McMaster Carr. Used it in the drill press to precisely size the rear spar attach holes. The twisted flutes cut like butter.

img_2380

 

Clecoed the rear spars to the wing ribs. Ready to rivet tomorrow.

img_2381

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 67.0
Total Time (hours): 278.0

Primed and started riveting the rear spar and Ordered Engine and Prop

Had an awesome time at Sun N Fun with Jared, Wes, and the Family. That’s me ordering an engine and prop in Van’s tent! And that’s me and Remy sitting in the RV14 at Van’s booth. Suddenly this is getting more real.

 

We got back from Lakeland this morning and I got right back to work. No rest for the wicked! Primed the rear spars and all of their associated parts.

img_2350

 

Clecoed the aileron hinges together.

img_2351

 

…and riveted them.

img_2352

Clecoed the spars together.

img_2353

Started riveting the doublers to the spars with the squeezer.

img_2354

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 63.0
Total Time (hours): 274.0

More work on rear spar

Final drilled #30 the spar, doublers, rib flanges, and aileron hinge attachments.

img_2313

 

Machine countersunk the flange holes where they match up to the doublers.img_2317

 

Machine countersunk the doubler plates. Also drilled the attach hole to 11/32 after this photo was taken. I need to pick up a 3/8″ reamer to finish the attach holes in the fork and doubler once they’re matched up and riveted to the spar.

img_2318

Dimpled all the #40 holes in both flanges of the rear spar.img_2316

Everything is ready to prime and assemble when I get back from Sun n Fun next week. Pretty happy with this weeks progress.

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 60.0
Total Time (hours): 271.0

Much progress on rear spar

Peeled the vinyl from all the parts. Did the minor cutting and fabrication called out in the plans. Cleaned up and deburred all the edges with file, deburring tool, scotch brite wheel, and sandpaper. Scuffed everything with a scotch brite pad.

img_2298

 

Assembled and final drilled the aileron hinges. The inboard hinges are from the service bulletin. I’m surprised they haven’t updated the plans yet. Had to follow the SB instructions.

img_2299

img_2304

 

Clamped the spar doublers to the spars and match drilled them.

 

Drilled out the aileron pushrod hole in the inboard doublers and cleaned them up with the Dremel.

 

Clecoed the right rear spar together with the wing assembly.

img_2315

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 59.0
Total Time (hours): 270.0

Wing ribs complete

Riveted the forward flanges of all the ribs to the spar with the rivet gun. My riveting seems to be getting better… Didn’t have to drill any out. I set the pressure at the compressor to 75psi for the -4 rivets. This seemed to work really well. I had tried a lower pressure in the past and the manufactured head would get all beat up. At the lower pressure, I had to hit the rivet so many times that I think it was getting work hardened.

img_2290

 

I also finished installing the AN3 hardware and torquing to spec. Kinda sorta starting to look like wings…img_2291

 

Picked all the parts (including the service bulletin kit) for the rear spar.img_2293

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 54.5
Total Time (hours): 265.5