Primed everything and Riveted left top skins

Scuffed the top skins, wing walk doublers, and stiffeners and wiped everything down with acetone.

img_2408

 

Mixed up a batch of P60G2 and shot everything with primer.

img_2412

 

Clecoed the left skins and doublers to the left wing substructure.

img_2414

 

Remy helped my rivet the skins to the ribs and spars. Prefers bucking and I prefer shooting so it all works out.

img_2417

 

Finished riveting the spars and ribs and clecoed the J stiffeners in place. I’m really pleased with the result so far. The riveting went really smoothly. No dents!

img_2420

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 80.5
Total Time (hours): 291.5

Primed and started riveting the rear spar and Ordered Engine and Prop

Had an awesome time at Sun N Fun with Jared, Wes, and the Family. That’s me ordering an engine and prop in Van’s tent! And that’s me and Remy sitting in the RV14 at Van’s booth. Suddenly this is getting more real.

 

We got back from Lakeland this morning and I got right back to work. No rest for the wicked! Primed the rear spars and all of their associated parts.

img_2350

 

Clecoed the aileron hinges together.

img_2351

 

…and riveted them.

img_2352

Clecoed the spars together.

img_2353

Started riveting the doublers to the spars with the squeezer.

img_2354

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 63.0
Total Time (hours): 274.0

Primed everything and started assembly

 

Wiped everything down with acetone and then shot primer. I did the spars first, then the ribs in two batches, and finally all the other small parts.

 

 

Riveted the flap hinges and hinge ribs to the ribs. I started using the squeezer but it couldn’t reach most of the rivets so just switched to the gun and shot the rest of them.

 

 

Assembled and riveted the the torque tube brackets and riveted them to the inboard ribs.

 

 

Clecoed the ribs to the spars and reinstalled the AN3 hardware and torqued everything down. I also installed the snap bushing in the systems holes in all the ribs. Many of them were a bit loose. I’ll have to give some thought on how I want to resolve this.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 52.5
Total Time (hours): 263.5

 

Rinse, repeat, right spar complete

Match drilled the J channel to the spar.

img_2217

Machine countersunk the nutplate attach holes.

img_2220

 

Riveted in the nutplates

img_2221

 

Countersunk the screw holes.

img_2222

 

Machine countersunk all the skin attach holes.

img_2229

 

Riveted in the nutplates at the tip end of the spar.

img_2225

 

Riveted the doubler to the spar and installed the tank attach nutplates.

img_2226

 

Final drilled, deburred, scuffed and primed the aileron bell crank brackets

img_2224

Installed and torqued the aileron bell crank brackets.

img_2230

Right spar done!

img_2231

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 21.5
Total Time (hours): 232.5

 

Attached vertical stabilizer tip

I final drilled all the holes to #30, dimpled them, machine countersunk the holes in the fiberglass, and blind riveted the tip to the VS. I detached the rudder from the VS and put the VS aside. Won’t be needing it again for a long time.

img_2144

I marked the rudder bottom fairing and cut the hole for the tail light with the Dremel tool.

img_2146

Used the sanding drum on the Dremel to finish up the hole.

img_2147

I primed the outside of the doubler with SEM rattle can primer.

img_2148

I mixed up some flox and used it to adhere the doubler to the rudder fairing.

img_2150

I blind riveted it in place. I’ll clean it up with sand paper once it has cured.

img_2152

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Empennage Time (hours): 211.0
Total Time (hours): 211.0

 

Prime time

I deburred, scuffed and primed all of the remaining empennage parts including the top skin and the upper side skins. I’ve just about run out of parts. Once I get my static line and nut plates from Van’s, I’ll be able to finish riveting everything.

IMG_1987

IMG_1988

IMG_1989

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 173.0
Total Time (hours): 173.0

 

Hey–this thing’s starting to look like an airplane.

Scuffed and primed the side skins.

IMG_1956

 

Machine countersunk all the holes in the longerons.

IMG_1958

 

Dimpled the remaining stiffeners.

IMG_1960

 

Dimpled the skins.

IMG_1961

 

Clecoed everything together.

IMG_1965

IMG_1964

In my excitement over putting all this together I neglected to peel the the blur vinyl from the rivet lines. I’ll have to remove some clecos and do that before I rivet.

I also riveted the aft bulkhead to the aft bottom skin.

IMG_1963

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Empennage Time (hours): 157.5
Total Time (hours): 157.5