Riveted the skin and worked on the baggage ribs and step bracket

Tammi helped me to rivet the bottom skin to the seat ribs. This was her first experience riveting. She’s a natural!

IMG_1993

 

Riveted the power outlet bracket to the center ribs.

img_3363

 

Blind riveted the seat rib angles to the seat ribs.

 

Dimpled and fluted the baggage ribs.

img_3367

 

Final drilled and machine countersunk the step attach weldment. Dimpled the step attach angles and riveted them to the weldments.

 

Riveted the weldments to the outboard baggage ribs.

img_3375

 

Dimpled the step attach ribs and riveted the doublers and nut plates to them.

img_3374

 

Riveted the step attach ribs to the outboard baggage ribs.

img_3376

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.5
Fuselage Time (hours): 40.5
Total Time (hours): 495.0

 

Fitted the aileron trim and inboard bottom skins

I finished inventorying and stowing parts from the fuselage kit and avionics.

Crimped the pins onto the aileron trim wires, added a heat shrink tube, and inserted them into the molex connector.

img_2987

 

I centered the set the aileron trim using a 9-volt battery to drive the servo. I set the  assembly in place on the wing and set the aileron to the neutral position. Then I marked the point where the aileron trim arm rested over the  push tube. I remove the push tube and located the tabs 6 inches either side of the center mark. I match drilled and blind riveted them to the push tube. I attached the springs to the tabs.

 

I clecoed the inboard bottom skins in place on the wings. Ready to rivet.

img_2985

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 264.0
Total Time (hours): 416.0

 

Finished assembling right tank.

Added a bead of tank sealant for the baffle. Clecoed the baffle in place. Riveted the baffle to the ribs and then riveted the z-brackets in place. Then riveted the baffle to the skin.

 

Installed the fuel drain, the fuel sender, AN fittings, and the fuel cap.

 

Machine countersunk the holes in the tank attach bracket for #8 screws.

img_2881

 

The right tank is now complete and once the sealant has cured, I can pressure test it. Hoping to get the left tank to the same state tomorrow.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 226.0
Total Time (hours): 378.0

 

Aileron assembly continues

Dimpled the leading and trailing edge holes in the top and bottom skins as well as the holes in the main ribs attached to them. Dimpled all the holes in the leading edge skins as well as the spars.

 

Machine countersunk the trailing edges.

img_2785

 

Riveted the skins to the nose ribs.

 

Blind riveted the spars to the nose ribs.

img_2789

 

Riveted the top and bottom skins to the nose assembly of the left aileron. Riveted the top and bottom ribs together. Riveted the nose skin to the counterbalance.

 

Prepared the left trailing edge by wiping it down the alcohol and applied the VHB tape to both sides. Then set it in place in the aileron and weighted everything down while resting the edge on a piece of angle iron. I remove the top backing tape by working my way across the aileron by removing a handful of clecos peeling the tape then replacing them with the next handful of clecos down the line until the whole backing tape was removed. I let the tape set up for a while and repeated the process for the bottom.

 

While the VHB tape sets up on the left aileron, I got started on assembling and riveting the right aileron. Got as far as riveting the top skin in place.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 185.5
Total Time (hours): 397.5

 

Flaps Completed

Same drill for the right flap… Just barely set the trailing edge rivets with the squeezer then set the shop heads flush with a mushroom set in the gun and a back riveting plate. I riveted the bottom skins with blind rivets. Then I installed hardware.

 

Flaps complete!

img_2740

Emailed Van’s about my tank skins and heard back on Friday. The right skin is back ordered so they estimate that they will ship end of next week. I’ve got plenty to keep me busy until then… On to the Ailerons.

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 167.0
Total Time (hours): 378.0

 

Finished the left flap

Worked on both left and right flaps simultaneously; performing each step on one then the other. Riveted the top skins and nose skins to the spars and then to the ribs. I back riveted the aft-most two holes in each rib.

 

 

Clecoed then riveted the bottom skins and nose skins to the spars. I had to stick my arm down between the skins, slightly pulling back the bottom skin to be able to back these rivets. Glad I deburred well. My arms were pretty well scraped by the end of this step.

 

 

Final drilled #33 and blind riveted the nose skins to the nose ribs.

 

 

Applied 3M double-sided VHB tape to the trailing edge extrusions. I clecoed the extrusions in place in the left wing, removing the bottom backing from the tape as I went. I let the VHB adhesive set up for an hour or so and remove the top backing form the tape; removing and replacing clecos as I went.

 

 

I let the top tape set up for a couple of hours. I clecoed and taped the trailing edge into the right wing at this point and moved on to riveting the left wing while the bottom tape set up.

I used the squeezer to just barely set rivets in the trailing edge. Then used a mushroom set in the gun with a back rivet plate to fully set the back of the double flush rivets.

 

 

I final drilled #33 all the bottom skin/rib holes and blind riveted. I used the squeezer to set solid rivets in the inboard and outboard end ribs. I installed the rod end for the flap actuator. Left wing done!

 

 

I removed the backing form the top tape on the right trailing edge. I’ll finish the right flap up in the morning.

img_2736

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 166.0
Total Time (hours): 377.0