Primed everything and started assembly

Primed all the aileron parts.

 

Riveted the various hinges and doublers to the various ribs.

img_2751

 

Clecoed the nose ribs to the spars and set in the skins with the stainless counterbalance tubes. Match drilled the inboard and outboard holes from the leading edge of the skins to the counterbalance.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 175.0
Total Time (hours): 387.0

 

Primed everything and began assembly

Primed everything

 

Riveted the nutplates and doublers to the rod end ribs.

 

Riveted the hinge halves to the ribs. Then installed the hardware and double flush riveted the halves together.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 158.0
Total Time (hours): 369.0

 

Primed all the tank parts.

When I bought my tools I bought my tools for this project, I decided to buy a DRDT-2 dimpler. I decided not to bother with a c-frame. Until this point I have not found anything that I couldn’t do without a c-frame. Today I needed to fill the locating holes in the inboard and outboard ribs with AN470AD6-5 rivets. I don’t own any tool capable of setting those big rivets reliably. Fortunately Jared offered up his c-frame and I went to his house and got these rivets set. Thanks, man! Ended up cutting the rivets down to like a 6-3. They are not structural and they were way to long.  They just plug up the machining holes in the external fuel tank ribs. The shorter rivets set perfectly with the c-frame and a heavy hammer.

img_2617

I primed the exterior side of all the fuel tank parts.

img_2612

I riveted the bearings for the aileron controls to the tank attach bracket.

img_2613

I riveted the shims and nutplates to the tank attach brackets.

img_2615

I riveted the nutplates to the aft inboard ribs. I couldn’t get a mushroom set in between the clecos to rivet these. So I used a back rivet set on the tail and a bucking bar on the factory head.

img_2616

I’ve completed everything I can on the Tanks until I get the J-Channel I ordered from Van’s. On the bright side… I received the tools I need to install the landing light lenses so that will be tomorrow’s project.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 133.0
Total Time (hours): 344.0

 

 

Primed all the parts

Wiped everything down with acetone and shot everything with P60G2 Primer.

 

Painted the outboard bays flat black so it looks decent when seen through the landing light lenses. Kinda wish vans provided some sort of reflector or housing.

 

Dimpled a lot of nut plates. Riveted them to the splice strips, the inspection plate doubler. and the landing light backing plates, and the landing light brackets.

 

Clecoed the inspection port doubler to the skin and riveted in place.

 

Clecoed the ribs to the left skin and drilled the tie-down hole.

 

Made it about half way through riveting the left leading edge before calling it a night.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 107.0
Total Time (hours): 318.0

Primed everything and Riveted left top skins

Scuffed the top skins, wing walk doublers, and stiffeners and wiped everything down with acetone.

img_2408

 

Mixed up a batch of P60G2 and shot everything with primer.

img_2412

 

Clecoed the left skins and doublers to the left wing substructure.

img_2414

 

Remy helped my rivet the skins to the ribs and spars. Prefers bucking and I prefer shooting so it all works out.

img_2417

 

Finished riveting the spars and ribs and clecoed the J stiffeners in place. I’m really pleased with the result so far. The riveting went really smoothly. No dents!

img_2420

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 80.5
Total Time (hours): 291.5

Primed and started riveting the rear spar and Ordered Engine and Prop

Had an awesome time at Sun N Fun with Jared, Wes, and the Family. That’s me ordering an engine and prop in Van’s tent! And that’s me and Remy sitting in the RV14 at Van’s booth. Suddenly this is getting more real.

 

We got back from Lakeland this morning and I got right back to work. No rest for the wicked! Primed the rear spars and all of their associated parts.

img_2350

 

Clecoed the aileron hinges together.

img_2351

 

…and riveted them.

img_2352

Clecoed the spars together.

img_2353

Started riveting the doublers to the spars with the squeezer.

img_2354

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 63.0
Total Time (hours): 274.0

Primed everything and started assembly

 

Wiped everything down with acetone and then shot primer. I did the spars first, then the ribs in two batches, and finally all the other small parts.

 

 

Riveted the flap hinges and hinge ribs to the ribs. I started using the squeezer but it couldn’t reach most of the rivets so just switched to the gun and shot the rest of them.

 

 

Assembled and riveted the the torque tube brackets and riveted them to the inboard ribs.

 

 

Clecoed the ribs to the spars and reinstalled the AN3 hardware and torqued everything down. I also installed the snap bushing in the systems holes in all the ribs. Many of them were a bit loose. I’ll have to give some thought on how I want to resolve this.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 52.5
Total Time (hours): 263.5