Hooked up landing lights

The ground (black) wire attached to the C401J connector that came with the wiring harness in the kit was too short to route through the outboard rib and spar to the landing light. It was originally intended to be grounded to the rib. The instructions for the AeroLED landing lights recommends bonding it to the ground for the landing light which is routed back to the fuselage in order to prevent radio interference. So I removed the black wire along with its molex socket from the C401J molex connector. I ordered new sockets from Mouser and they arrived today. So I cut some lengths of 18 gauge wire and crimped the new sockets on.

img_2701

Inserted the pin back into the connector and routed the wire.

img_2702

Crimped on the the ring terminals.

img_2704

Ran the wires through the adel clamp and connected to the terminals on the landing light. Wire tied everything to keep it neat and tight.

img_2705

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 154.0
Total Time (hours): 365.0

 

Completed systems routing

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 10.23.29 AM

Wired the right wing for the nav, strobe, and landing lights. Also ran the wires for the autopilot servo.

 

In the left wing I ran the wiring for the nav, strobe, and landing lights. I also ran the wiring for the ADAHRS and the plastic line for the pitot tube. Decided to drill a couple of extra routing hole in order to mount the pitot tube outboard of the aileron bellcrank in order to avoid interference with the aileron push tube. I omitted the wire for the stall warning system since I didn’t install it in the leading edge. The Garmin system has an AOA sensor as part of the pitot system. So no need.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 140.0
Total Time (hours): 351.0

 

 

Trimmed and fitted the elevator and rudder tips

As much as I enjoyed looking at the aft fuselage with the tail feathers attached progress must continue! I remove the rudder, elevator, vertical stabilizer and horizontal stabilizer. I trimmed and fitted the elevator and rudder tips using a Dremel with a diamond cutting wheel, files and 60 grit sand paper.

img_2057

img_2058

I also received the molex pins I ordered from Mouser so I fixed the wire I accidentally yanked out of the aft wiring harness molex connector.

img_2059

Tomorrow Jared will teach me how to fiberglass and we’ll close out the VS and HS tips. I’ll need to drill, dimple, countersink and rivet/screw the rudder and elevator tips as well.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 196.0
Total Time (hours): 196.0

 

Riveted Spars and Ribs in Left Elevator

I started off the day by taping the trailing edge to the bottom right elevator skin with the 3M VHB. tape.

IMG_1830

I also completed the trim servo assembly. I need to order a crimper to terminate the wires from the trim servo with the supplied micro molex connector. I also need to get a label maker to label all the terminations.

IMG_1831

Then my new squeezer set from Aircraft Spruce showed up. It’s nice having them relatively local. If I order by 4:00 they’ll ship same day and shipping via UPS ground gets it here next day from Peachtree City.

With the new squeezer sets I was able to complete the riveting of the hinge portion of the skin to the aft spar.

IMG_1833

I essentially completed all of the steps that I did to the right elevator yesterday to the left elevator today. So now both elevators are ready to have the aft ribs glued and the trailing edges riveted.

IMG_1834

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Empennage Time (hours): 118.5
Total Time (hours): 118.5