Hooked up landing lights

The ground (black) wire attached to the C401J connector that came with the wiring harness in the kit was too short to route through the outboard rib and spar to the landing light. It was originally intended to be grounded to the rib. The instructions for the AeroLED landing lights recommends bonding it to the ground for the landing light which is routed back to the fuselage in order to prevent radio interference. So I removed the black wire along with its molex socket from the C401J molex connector. I ordered new sockets from Mouser and they arrived today. So I cut some lengths of 18 gauge wire and crimped the new sockets on.

img_2701

Inserted the pin back into the connector and routed the wire.

img_2702

Crimped on the the ring terminals.

img_2704

Ran the wires through the adel clamp and connected to the terminals on the landing light. Wire tied everything to keep it neat and tight.

img_2705

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 154.0
Total Time (hours): 365.0

 

Installed landing lights and lenses

Cut the plexiglass lens to 3/4″ larger than the opening in the wing using the Dremel with a diamond dust blade. Cut like buttah.

img_2618

Covered the lens with tape to protect it. Put in in place within the wing and traced the opening onto the tape. I lined up the backing places and marked the tape with the finished cut lines. I cut to final size with the Dremel and sanded the edges smooth with a sanding drum in the drill press.

img_2619

Set the lens into place and used the tape “leash” i made on the front of the lens to pull it tight against the inside of the skin. Drilled and clecoed all th holes with a #30 plexi bit.

img_2620

Remove the lens from the wing and removed the tape. I countersunk the holes with 100 degree zero-flute countersink bit in the electric drill. I deburred the back side of the holes with a single turn of the same bit.

img_2621

I used VHB double stick tape to secure the backing plates to the lens.

img_2622

I installed the landing light onto the bracket that I had riveted into the wing in an earlier step.

img_2624

I secured the lens in place with #6 stainless screws.

img_2627

And then repeated the whole process for the right wing.

img_2628

This completes section 17–Outboard leading edges!

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 137.0
Total Time (hours): 348.0

 

 

Left outboard leading edge complete.

Finished riveting the skin to the ribs of the left outboard leading edge. Had to lie it flat and get Remy to buck the last three rows on the top side. Just couldn’t reach.

img_2536

 

Riveted the landing light mounting bracket in place.

img_2537

Riveted the J channel stiffener to the top of the skin.

img_2538

Left outboard leading edge complete.

img_2539

Clecoed the ribs into the right outboard leading edge skin and drilled the 3/8″ hole for the tie-down eye bolt.

 

Fabricated the spacers for the landing light brackets. Painted the spacers and mounting screws. Riveted the nut plates into the brackets and shot another coat of paint over the rivets. Assembled the landing lights into the brackets.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 111.0
Total Time (hours): 322.0