Dimpled all the ribs and stiffeners

Got my rivet set and AD5 rivets from spruce and replaced the rivets I removed after screwing up last week. See Finished riveting everything to the rear spars… almost.

img_2397

Dimpled all the ribs in both wings…

 

…and the J-channel stiffeners

img_2400

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Wing Time (hours): 75.5
Total Time (hours): 286.5

Dimpled left top wing skins

Removed material from the corners where they overlap and butt up against the tank skin so that they’ll lay flat. I used 60 grit sand paper. Then deburred all the edges of the skins and wing walk doublers. I deburred all the holes I drilled in the doublers too.

img_2391

 

Dimpled the skins with the DRDT-2.

img_2393

 

Made it through both left wing skins before my arm got tired.

img_2394

img_2392

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 73.0
Total Time (hours): 284.0

Drill and countersink inboard top skin and wing walk doublers

Match drill #40 rivet holes for nut plates along inboard edge.

img_2385

 

Final drilled #19 the screw holes and dimpled the one furthest aft.

img_2386

 

Final drilled #40 and countersunk all of the holes in the skin that are common to the wing walk doublers.

img_2388

 

Disassembled everything.

img_2389

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 71.0
Total Time (hours): 282.0

Riveted rear spars to ribs and started on top skins

Riveted the rear spars to the wing ribs. I tried to use the squeezer but it was cumbersome with several different rivet sizes and with the flanges in the way. So I switched to the gun. This was much easier.

img_2382

 

And of course, no section is complete without a few mistakes. I used the wrong size rivets in ribs behind the doublers. I used 4-4’s and needed 4-5’s the shop heads were too thin to be acceptable. So I drilled them all out. Nine rivets in total. I couldn’t punch the rivets out because there was nothing to back them up when I hit them with the punch. So I had to drill them all the way out. I was super careful but the holes are enlarged ever so slightly. If this wasn’t a critical structure, I’d probably just re-rivet it but this area carries the load from the ailerons and flaps. So I’ll go with a larger river to ensure structural soundness. I order some -5 rivets, a #21 drill, and a 5/32″ rivet set from Spruce.

img_2383

 

I clecoed the wing walk doubles and inboard top skins to the spars and ribs.

img_2384

 

I also put in an order with Van’s for some fuel tank sealant.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 69.0
Total Time (hours): 280.0

Ordered Fuselage Kit

I sent Van’s an email with the order form for my fuselage kit. Lead times are up to 12 weeks and I seem to be moving right along with the wing kit. I included the the following items with the order:

  • RV-14 ELT INSTALLATION KIT (14 ELT ACK-04 KIT)–Qty. 1
  • RV-14 Flap Position Sensor Kit (14 FLAP POSITION KIT)–Qty. 1
  • T 14 AP Servo Install Kit Optional (14 GARMIN AP SERVO INSTALL KIT)–Qty. 1
  • Garmin Yaw Servo Install Kit(14 G3X YAW SERVO INSTALL KIT)–Qty. 1
  • Left Control Stick w/Grip-14(CS-00008T-L)–Qty. 1
  • Right Control Stick w/Grip-14(CS-00008T-R)–Qty. 1
  • Blank L-R instrument panel-14(F-00111)–Qty. 2
  • Blank center panel-14(F-00112)–Qty. 1
  • CANOPY HARNESS KIT RV-14(ES WH-00126 KIT)–Qty. 1
  • Main Harness 14 W/Phono Jack(ES WH-00125 KIT)–Qty. 1

 

  • Please delete from the Fuselage kit order the left and right control sticks (CS-00008-L and CS-00008-R) since they will be replaced by the control sticks ordered above.

Fixed the right aileron hinge and riveted to rear spar

Did some flying with Jared today in his RV-14A. Awesome day dancing around some scattered clouds and some fun aerobatics. Thanks for the great flight today, Jared! The aerobatic training is definitely paying off. Sorry no pics. I was having too much fun!

Meanwhile back at the airplane factory…

Received the replacement parts from vans and did the little bit of fabrication necessary to prepare the doublers and attach brackets.

img_2369

Deburred and primed the new parts with SEM rattle can primer. Riveted the attach brackets to the hinge.

img_2372

 

Riveted the hinge and doublers to the right rear spar.

img_2373

 

The mistake cost me $45 in parts and an hour and a half of build time.

img_2376

 

Got my new 3/8″ reamer from McMaster Carr. Used it in the drill press to precisely size the rear spar attach holes. The twisted flutes cut like butter.

img_2380

 

Clecoed the rear spars to the wing ribs. Ready to rivet tomorrow.

img_2381

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 67.0
Total Time (hours): 278.0