Completed most of the fabrication steps

In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve settled into a strategy for most sections of the build… First I pick, inspect, and peel all the parts for the section. The I take a first pass through the instructions and perform all of the steps that require cutting, grinding, bending, etc. Then I deburr, scuff, and dimple all the parts. Then I prime everything. Finally I assemble and rivet everything. I’ve found this approach is much quicker then going step by step in the order of the instructions. I can set up the shop and tools for each operation and reorganize after each operation. I kind of get into a groove with each of the operations and avoid frequent tool changes. I also only need to set up for paint, which is a major operation, once per section.

Today I was focused on fabrication steps… I started with the upper longerons. I cut and trimmed according to the plans. The fabricated a couple of clamping blocks that allowed me to secure each longeron in the bench vise and clamp a lever to the end in order to bend a 10 degree twist into them. Finally I clamped and clecoed the upper engine mount brackets to the forward end of the longerons and match drilled them.

 

Drilled and cut the lower longerons and match drilled them to the lower engine mount brackets and longeron doublers.

 

Fabricated the hinges that will attach the cowling to the firewall.

img_3549

 

Separated a whole bunch of parts. Unfortunately my bandsaw blade gave up the ghost early on and I didn’t have a spare. So I used the snips for the thinner aluminum and the Dremel with a cutoff wheel for the thicker parts. A little bit slower but not too bad.

img_3550

 

I managed to lose a part somehow. I turned the shop upside down and couldn’t find the F-01422 Fuselage Side Ribs. I checked it off on the inventory. No idea what happened to it. Ordered a new one from Van’s.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 80.0
Total Time (hours): 534.5

 

Left wing top skin complete

Remy and I riveted the J channels to the top skin.

img_2431

Riveted the outboard aileron bracket to the outboard rib and rear spar. My new 7″ long rivet set came in handy here.

Left wing top skins done!

img_2435

Clamped the right wing sub-structure to the benches. Clecoed the skins and wing walk doublers in place.

img_2436

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Wing Time (hours): 83.0
Total Time (hours): 294.0

Rinse, repeat, right spar complete

Match drilled the J channel to the spar.

img_2217

Machine countersunk the nutplate attach holes.

img_2220

 

Riveted in the nutplates

img_2221

 

Countersunk the screw holes.

img_2222

 

Machine countersunk all the skin attach holes.

img_2229

 

Riveted in the nutplates at the tip end of the spar.

img_2225

 

Riveted the doubler to the spar and installed the tank attach nutplates.

img_2226

 

Final drilled, deburred, scuffed and primed the aileron bell crank brackets

img_2224

Installed and torqued the aileron bell crank brackets.

img_2230

Right spar done!

img_2231

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 21.5
Total Time (hours): 232.5

 

Finished attaching elevators. Started attaching horizontal stabilizer

Fabricated a spacer block to act as a drill guide and clamped it between the horns. Double checked that the elevators were still clamped in the trailing position. Match drilled the left horn to the right horn.

img_2039

Checked to make sure everything was aligned and nothing was binding. All was good. Nice and smooth through the whole range.

img_2042

Positioned the horizontal stabilizer on the aft fuselage and bolted the forward spar to the attach bars. I clecoed the middle holes on the aft spar to the aft attach bars. I drilled the two top holes and installed bolts.

img_2043

Unfortunately I could not get the drill squared up to the spar for the lower holes because of interference with the aft bulkhead. I’ll have to head off to home depot to get a long 1/4″ drill.

img_2044

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Empennage Time (hours): 190.5
Total Time (hours): 190.5