Dimpled the skins and countersunk the longerons

Taped off the holes that were not to be dimpled. Deburred and prepped the edges per the plans. Dimpled the skins.

 

Countersunk all the outboard holes in the upper and lower longerons.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 105.0
Total Time (hours): 559.5

Continued assembly

Riveted the flange bearings to the control column.

 

Riveted the upper engine mounts to the upper longerons. Not sure why the Plans call out cherrymax rivets for some of the holes rather than solid rivets for all. Seems odd.

 

Riveted the engine mounts and doublers to the lower longerons. Same weirdness with the cherrymax rivets.

img_3587

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 89.0
Total Time (hours): 543.5

Completed most of the fabrication steps

In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve settled into a strategy for most sections of the build… First I pick, inspect, and peel all the parts for the section. The I take a first pass through the instructions and perform all of the steps that require cutting, grinding, bending, etc. Then I deburr, scuff, and dimple all the parts. Then I prime everything. Finally I assemble and rivet everything. I’ve found this approach is much quicker then going step by step in the order of the instructions. I can set up the shop and tools for each operation and reorganize after each operation. I kind of get into a groove with each of the operations and avoid frequent tool changes. I also only need to set up for paint, which is a major operation, once per section.

Today I was focused on fabrication steps… I started with the upper longerons. I cut and trimmed according to the plans. The fabricated a couple of clamping blocks that allowed me to secure each longeron in the bench vise and clamp a lever to the end in order to bend a 10 degree twist into them. Finally I clamped and clecoed the upper engine mount brackets to the forward end of the longerons and match drilled them.

 

Drilled and cut the lower longerons and match drilled them to the lower engine mount brackets and longeron doublers.

 

Fabricated the hinges that will attach the cowling to the firewall.

img_3549

 

Separated a whole bunch of parts. Unfortunately my bandsaw blade gave up the ghost early on and I didn’t have a spare. So I used the snips for the thinner aluminum and the Dremel with a cutoff wheel for the thicker parts. A little bit slower but not too bad.

img_3550

 

I managed to lose a part somehow. I turned the shop upside down and couldn’t find the F-01422 Fuselage Side Ribs. I checked it off on the inventory. No idea what happened to it. Ordered a new one from Van’s.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 80.0
Total Time (hours): 534.5

 

Hey–this thing’s starting to look like an airplane.

Scuffed and primed the side skins.

IMG_1956

 

Machine countersunk all the holes in the longerons.

IMG_1958

 

Dimpled the remaining stiffeners.

IMG_1960

 

Dimpled the skins.

IMG_1961

 

Clecoed everything together.

IMG_1965

IMG_1964

In my excitement over putting all this together I neglected to peel the the blur vinyl from the rivet lines. I’ll have to remove some clecos and do that before I rivet.

I also riveted the aft bulkhead to the aft bottom skin.

IMG_1963

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Empennage Time (hours): 157.5
Total Time (hours): 157.5