Continued building left tank

Sealed and riveted the J channel stiffener to the tank skin.

 

Installed the tank attach bracket assembly and added a fillet of sealant to the seam with the forward rib. I used an inspection mirror to ensure I got good coverage.

img_2840

 

Made up the fuel vent line and installed into the tank.

 

Sealed and riveted the aft inboard tank rib in place. I installed the bulkhead fitting for the vent line and connected the vent line to it.

 

I didn’t have enough sealant left to fillet the aft rib. So I’ll do that in the next session.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 205.0
Total Time (hours): 357.0

 

Work resumes on the tanks

I received the J-Channel that that I ordered from Van’s. I cut it to length with a cut-off wheel in the Dremel. Then cleaned up the edges on the Scotchbrite wheel. I measured and marked the centerline. Drilled the starter hole. Clecoed it in place and match drilled the rest of the holes, clecoing as I went.

 

I clecoed the baffle in place and machine countersunk the corresponding rivet holes in the tank skin.

 

I disassembled everything final drilled the #19 holes in the skin and then deburred them as well as the holes in the j-channel. I dimpled the J-channel with the pneumatic squeezer.

In other news… My propeller was delivered! It’ll be a while before I need it but ordered it at the same time as the engine to get a discount. The engine has a much longer lead time. Expecting it to show up mid October.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 142.0
Total Time (hours): 353.0

 

 

Finished dimpling everything

Clecoed the left leading skin to the ribs.

img_2492

Slid the j channel into place and clecoed the starter hole. Then match drilled all the holes from the skin into the stiffener.

Match drilled the aft-most top and bottom holes in each of the ribs.

img_2497

Disassembled everything and repeated the whole process for the right wing. Deburred and dimpled all the holes.

Dressed the edges of the skin with a file and sand paper.  The cut-outs for the landing lights were pretty jagged. I cleaned them up with an abrasive drum on the Dremel and some sandpaper.

Dimpled the skins with the DRDT2 and scuffed the insides with a scotch brite pad.

img_2505

Dimpled the rest of the parts.

Everything is ready for priming and assembly.

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 101.0
Total Time (hours): 312.0

Work continues on outboard leading edges

Deburred all the edges of all the things. The doublers for the landing light lenses looked like they were crafted by Van’s with a chainsaw. You can see the before and after shot below. I used sandpaper to work the flanges around the nose of the ribs so that the skins don’t telegraph any faceting.

Trimmed the four ribs called out in the plans so that they will fit around the spar braces. Finished with files and sandpaper.

img_2484

Flattened, straightened and fluted all the ribs. Then final drilled and deburred all the holes.

Dimpled all the holes with the squeezer.

Cut the J-channel stiffeners to length and drilled the first inboard hole in each.

img_2489

Final drilled #19 the screw holes in the splice strips. Carefully deburred the holes and dimpled for #8 screws. Dimpled all the #40 holes as well.

img_2490

In other news, I received the order confirmation for the engine I ordered at Sun ‘n Fun. The ship date from Lycoming is October 11.

series-engine-390

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 94.0
Total Time (hours): 305.0

Left wing top skin complete

Remy and I riveted the J channels to the top skin.

img_2431

Riveted the outboard aileron bracket to the outboard rib and rear spar. My new 7″ long rivet set came in handy here.

Left wing top skins done!

img_2435

Clamped the right wing sub-structure to the benches. Clecoed the skins and wing walk doublers in place.

img_2436

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Wing Time (hours): 83.0
Total Time (hours): 294.0

Dimpled all the ribs and stiffeners

Got my rivet set and AD5 rivets from spruce and replaced the rivets I removed after screwing up last week. See Finished riveting everything to the rear spars… almost.

img_2397

Dimpled all the ribs in both wings…

 

…and the J-channel stiffeners

img_2400

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Wing Time (hours): 75.5
Total Time (hours): 286.5

Rinse, repeat, right spar complete

Match drilled the J channel to the spar.

img_2217

Machine countersunk the nutplate attach holes.

img_2220

 

Riveted in the nutplates

img_2221

 

Countersunk the screw holes.

img_2222

 

Machine countersunk all the skin attach holes.

img_2229

 

Riveted in the nutplates at the tip end of the spar.

img_2225

 

Riveted the doubler to the spar and installed the tank attach nutplates.

img_2226

 

Final drilled, deburred, scuffed and primed the aileron bell crank brackets

img_2224

Installed and torqued the aileron bell crank brackets.

img_2230

Right spar done!

img_2231

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 21.5
Total Time (hours): 232.5