Prop prep, cabin heat, and sniffle tube

Uncrated the prop.

img_4732

Match drilled and clecoed the spinner plate doubler to the spinner plate.  Marked and cut out the center of the spinner plate with a skill saw. I cleaned it up with files, and a bit of emory cloth. I scuffed and primed the plate and the doubler then riveted them together. I attached the spinner plate assembly to the back of prop and re-torqued the bolts. The prop is now ready to be mounted to the engine.

Installed the heater muffs and associated SCAT hoses.

Fabricated and installed the sniffle tube.

img_4746

Today’s Time (hours): 8.0
Finish kit (hours): 231.0
Total Time (hours): 965.0

Installed prop governor, fuel flow sensor, and sniffle valve

Installed the prop governor. I wasn’t sure what hardware to use. The plans said to refer to the engine/governor installation instructions. The Hartzell instructions said to refer to the engine manufacturer’s instructions. The Lycoming instructions that came with the engine were mute on the topic. I was able to find an illustrated parts catalogue for the engine on Lycoming’s web site. It showed a washer, a star washer and a plain nut. Now I need to figure out where Lycoming keeps its torque values.

img_4670

 

I installed the fuel flow sensor and the fuel lines from the fuel pump and to the fuel injection servo.

img_4672

 

I installed the sniffle valve. This seemed like it was going to be straightforward. Remove the plug; install the valve. What I didn’t take into account was that the intake manifold was full of preservative oil. So now my nose gear and tire are well lubricated and in no danger of corroding.

img_4673

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Finish kit (hours): 193.0
Total Time (hours): 927.0

 

Work resumes on the tanks

I received the J-Channel that that I ordered from Van’s. I cut it to length with a cut-off wheel in the Dremel. Then cleaned up the edges on the Scotchbrite wheel. I measured and marked the centerline. Drilled the starter hole. Clecoed it in place and match drilled the rest of the holes, clecoing as I went.

 

I clecoed the baffle in place and machine countersunk the corresponding rivet holes in the tank skin.

 

I disassembled everything final drilled the #19 holes in the skin and then deburred them as well as the holes in the j-channel. I dimpled the J-channel with the pneumatic squeezer.

In other news… My propeller was delivered! It’ll be a while before I need it but ordered it at the same time as the engine to get a discount. The engine has a much longer lead time. Expecting it to show up mid October.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 142.0
Total Time (hours): 353.0