Installed prop governor, fuel flow sensor, and sniffle valve

Installed the prop governor. I wasn’t sure what hardware to use. The plans said to refer to the engine/governor installation instructions. The Hartzell instructions said to refer to the engine manufacturer’s instructions. The Lycoming instructions that came with the engine were mute on the topic. I was able to find an illustrated parts catalogue for the engine on Lycoming’s web site. It showed a washer, a star washer and a plain nut. Now I need to figure out where Lycoming keeps its torque values.

img_4670

 

I installed the fuel flow sensor and the fuel lines from the fuel pump and to the fuel injection servo.

img_4672

 

I installed the sniffle valve. This seemed like it was going to be straightforward. Remove the plug; install the valve. What I didn’t take into account was that the intake manifold was full of preservative oil. So now my nose gear and tire are well lubricated and in no danger of corroding.

img_4673

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Finish kit (hours): 193.0
Total Time (hours): 927.0

 

Got the gear and engine mounted and moved to the garage!

Special thank you to Jared, Wes, Scott, and Remy for all their help on Saturday! We got the fuselage out of the basement, Got the main gear attached and wheeled it around the house, up the hill, and into the garage. Then we bolted on the engine mount and nose gear on.

 

Mounted the battery and starter relays to the firewall along with the associated fuse and ammeter shunt. Mounted the MAP, oil pressure, and fuel pressure sensors. Jared and Wes added all of the fittings to the Engine and we bolted it to the mount.

 

With the relays wired, I threw the aster switch and everything lit up! No smoke. Yay.

img_4667

 

Today’s Time (hours): 16.0
Finish kit (hours): 191.0
Total Time (hours): 925.0

 

Work continues on outboard leading edges

Deburred all the edges of all the things. The doublers for the landing light lenses looked like they were crafted by Van’s with a chainsaw. You can see the before and after shot below. I used sandpaper to work the flanges around the nose of the ribs so that the skins don’t telegraph any faceting.

Trimmed the four ribs called out in the plans so that they will fit around the spar braces. Finished with files and sandpaper.

img_2484

Flattened, straightened and fluted all the ribs. Then final drilled and deburred all the holes.

Dimpled all the holes with the squeezer.

Cut the J-channel stiffeners to length and drilled the first inboard hole in each.

img_2489

Final drilled #19 the screw holes in the splice strips. Carefully deburred the holes and dimpled for #8 screws. Dimpled all the #40 holes as well.

img_2490

In other news, I received the order confirmation for the engine I ordered at Sun ‘n Fun. The ship date from Lycoming is October 11.

series-engine-390

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 94.0
Total Time (hours): 305.0

Primed and started riveting the rear spar and Ordered Engine and Prop

Had an awesome time at Sun N Fun with Jared, Wes, and the Family. That’s me ordering an engine and prop in Van’s tent! And that’s me and Remy sitting in the RV14 at Van’s booth. Suddenly this is getting more real.

 

We got back from Lakeland this morning and I got right back to work. No rest for the wicked! Primed the rear spars and all of their associated parts.

img_2350

 

Clecoed the aileron hinges together.

img_2351

 

…and riveted them.

img_2352

Clecoed the spars together.

img_2353

Started riveting the doublers to the spars with the squeezer.

img_2354

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 63.0
Total Time (hours): 274.0