Finished riveting the bottom left skins

Finished riveting the forward half of the outboard left skin.

img_3127

 

Riveted the nut plates to the inboard bottom skin and the inspection ports.

 

Installed the pitot mast, pitot tube, and pitot heat control box.

 

Two of the crimp-on quick disconnect terminals on the pitot tube were not properly crimped by Garmin and pulled off when I went to connect them. Disappointing! Unfortunately I had already put in an Aircraft Spruce order this weekend. I’ll wait until I have more stuff to order and get some new connectors.

 

Reinstalled the aileron push tube and torqued the fasteners.

 

Reinstalled the flaps.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 280.0
Total Time (hours): 432.0

 

Installed Autopilot Roll Servo

Drilled and tapped the aluminum tubes to accept the 1/4 threads of the rod end bearings. Assembled the AP pushrods. Fabricated the spacer for the roll servo.

 

Installed the roll servo into the right wing.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 266.0
Total Time (hours): 418.0

 

Tested the Fuel Tanks

Tested the tanks using the test kit from Van’s. Attached a balloon to the fuel strainer to regulate the pressure and as a visual indicator that the tank was pressurized. Used a spray bottle with soapy water to spray down the tank to find any leaks. No leaks found!

 

I attached the tanks to the wings but had to remove them because the tank skin overlapped the outboard leading edge skin by a few thousandths. I used a file to adjust the edge of the skin. I final-attached the tanks to the wings with AN3 bolts, torqued them to spec and marked them with torque seal. I got about half way through putting all the screws in. I’ll have to finish those up next week when I get back from Florida.

 

I’m definitely in the home stretch with the wings. Looking forward to getting everything buttoned up next weekend.

355bfa

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 242.0
Total Time (hours): 394.0

 

Finished the left flap

Worked on both left and right flaps simultaneously; performing each step on one then the other. Riveted the top skins and nose skins to the spars and then to the ribs. I back riveted the aft-most two holes in each rib.

 

 

Clecoed then riveted the bottom skins and nose skins to the spars. I had to stick my arm down between the skins, slightly pulling back the bottom skin to be able to back these rivets. Glad I deburred well. My arms were pretty well scraped by the end of this step.

 

 

Final drilled #33 and blind riveted the nose skins to the nose ribs.

 

 

Applied 3M double-sided VHB tape to the trailing edge extrusions. I clecoed the extrusions in place in the left wing, removing the bottom backing from the tape as I went. I let the VHB adhesive set up for an hour or so and remove the top backing form the tape; removing and replacing clecos as I went.

 

 

I let the top tape set up for a couple of hours. I clecoed and taped the trailing edge into the right wing at this point and moved on to riveting the left wing while the bottom tape set up.

I used the squeezer to just barely set rivets in the trailing edge. Then used a mushroom set in the gun with a back rivet plate to fully set the back of the double flush rivets.

 

 

I final drilled #33 all the bottom skin/rib holes and blind riveted. I used the squeezer to set solid rivets in the inboard and outboard end ribs. I installed the rod end for the flap actuator. Left wing done!

 

 

I removed the backing form the top tape on the right trailing edge. I’ll finish the right flap up in the morning.

img_2736

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 166.0
Total Time (hours): 377.0

 

Primed everything and started assembly

 

Wiped everything down with acetone and then shot primer. I did the spars first, then the ribs in two batches, and finally all the other small parts.

 

 

Riveted the flap hinges and hinge ribs to the ribs. I started using the squeezer but it couldn’t reach most of the rivets so just switched to the gun and shot the rest of them.

 

 

Assembled and riveted the the torque tube brackets and riveted them to the inboard ribs.

 

 

Clecoed the ribs to the spars and reinstalled the AN3 hardware and torqued everything down. I also installed the snap bushing in the systems holes in all the ribs. Many of them were a bit loose. I’ll have to give some thought on how I want to resolve this.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 52.5
Total Time (hours): 263.5

 

Rinse, repeat, right spar complete

Match drilled the J channel to the spar.

img_2217

Machine countersunk the nutplate attach holes.

img_2220

 

Riveted in the nutplates

img_2221

 

Countersunk the screw holes.

img_2222

 

Machine countersunk all the skin attach holes.

img_2229

 

Riveted in the nutplates at the tip end of the spar.

img_2225

 

Riveted the doubler to the spar and installed the tank attach nutplates.

img_2226

 

Final drilled, deburred, scuffed and primed the aileron bell crank brackets

img_2224

Installed and torqued the aileron bell crank brackets.

img_2230

Right spar done!

img_2231

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 21.5
Total Time (hours): 232.5

 

Left spar complete

Riveted the spar to the doubler with the 5 AN470 rivets using the squeezer. Then shot the tank attach nutplates using the gun.

img_2211

Final drilled and deburred the left aileron brackets.

img_2212

 

Scuffed and primed the aileron brackets with rattle can.

img_2213.jpg

 

Installed and torqued the aileron brackets to the spar.

img_2214.jpg

 

Put up the left spar and moved the right spar to the bench. Hopefully I’ll get that one knocked out tomorrow.

img_2215

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 17.0
Total Time (hours): 228.0