Completed forward mid fuselage bulkheads (Section 25)

Received the new bulkhead bars from Van’s. Cut and deburred them. Scuffed them, Machine countersunk and riveted them. Reamed all the holes and bolted them to the aft bulkhead.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 22.0
Total Time (hours): 476.5

 

Continued assembling the mid-fuselage bulkheads

I was using the squeezer to do some dimpling and riveting.  About halfway through it started leaking air from the valve. I disassembled the valve and found that the o-ring that prevents the poppet from-over extending had sheared in two. I called Cleaveland Tool and they were more than happy to ship a new o-ring at no charge. Nice folks over there. In the meantime I’ll be using the DRDT-2 and C-frame dimpling duties and shooting all the rivets with the gun.

 

I assembled the bulkhead bars. Unfortunately I screwed up one of them and had to order a new part from Van’s. Here’s the good one…

img_3273

 

I moved on the the aft center section bulkhead. I machine countersunk all the holes then riveted the nut plates in place. Then I riveted the side angles to the bulkhead.

 

I countersunk and riveted the bearing brackets.

 

I dimpled the cover ribs and riveted the nut plates in place. I riveted the bearing brackets to the ribs as well.

 

Machine countersunk the bearing bracket braces and riveted on the attach angles.

 

Moved on to the forward center section bulkhead. I machine countersunk the holes on the flanges and riveted on the nut plates. Then riveted and bolted the side angles in place.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 11.0
Total Time (hours): 465.5

 

Finished riveting the bottom left skins

Finished riveting the forward half of the outboard left skin.

img_3127

 

Riveted the nut plates to the inboard bottom skin and the inspection ports.

 

Installed the pitot mast, pitot tube, and pitot heat control box.

 

Two of the crimp-on quick disconnect terminals on the pitot tube were not properly crimped by Garmin and pulled off when I went to connect them. Disappointing! Unfortunately I had already put in an Aircraft Spruce order this weekend. I’ll wait until I have more stuff to order and get some new connectors.

 

Reinstalled the aileron push tube and torqued the fasteners.

 

Reinstalled the flaps.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 280.0
Total Time (hours): 432.0

 

Tested the Fuel Tanks

Tested the tanks using the test kit from Van’s. Attached a balloon to the fuel strainer to regulate the pressure and as a visual indicator that the tank was pressurized. Used a spray bottle with soapy water to spray down the tank to find any leaks. No leaks found!

 

I attached the tanks to the wings but had to remove them because the tank skin overlapped the outboard leading edge skin by a few thousandths. I used a file to adjust the edge of the skin. I final-attached the tanks to the wings with AN3 bolts, torqued them to spec and marked them with torque seal. I got about half way through putting all the screws in. I’ll have to finish those up next week when I get back from Florida.

 

I’m definitely in the home stretch with the wings. Looking forward to getting everything buttoned up next weekend.

355bfa

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 242.0
Total Time (hours): 394.0