Cut, deburred, and scuffed mid fuse parts

Peeled the blue vinyl from all the parts.

img_3221

 

Cut the parts that needed to be separated on the band saw.

 

Deburred all the edges and scuffed the parts.

img_3224

 

Ready for priming. Plans call for reaming several off the holes to .311″. I didn’t have a .311 reamer so ordered that from McMaster. Should have it by next weekend’s build session.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 3.0
Total Time (hours): 454.5

 

Pitot mast fit and all remaining wing parts prepped for primer and assembly

Cut, deburred, dimpled, and scuffed all the remaining wing parts to prep for priming. This included the aileron trim, the aileron push tubes, the inspection covers, and the wing tip ribs.

Fabricated a bracket to secure the pitot mounting bracket to the wing rib.Drilled the holes in the mounting bracket to match the holes in the rib. Then match drilled the new rib bracket to the mounting bracket and the rib. Match drilled everything to the skin and cut out the hole for the pitot mast using 1/2″ drill, Dremel, files, and sand paper. Pleased with how everything came out. Should be nice and secure once everything is riveted together.

 

Dimpled and scuffed the skins. Everything is ready for primer and assembly.

 

Ordered avionics and hoping to get the A/P servo, pitot tube, and magnetometer installed before closing up the wings. I also ordered tubing for the AOA line and wire for the pitot heat. Hopefully I’ll have everything and be able to get the wings buttoned up next week.

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 239.0
Total Time (hours): 391.0

 

Started work on the bottom skins

After the mess of the fuel tanks, I took the time to clean up the shop, replace the paper on the bench tops, and vacuum the floor.

img_2892

 

Fabricated the flap gap doublers. Dimpled the flap and aileron gap fairings. Peeled and scuffed the forward facing side of the fairings.

 

Clecoed the ADAHRS mount together and match drilled to the j-channel stiffener. Disassembled, dimpled, and prepped all the parts. Countersunk and fluted the retainers.

 

Clecoed the inboard bottom skins to the wing assemblies. Match drilled the nut plate holes to the inboard ribs. Final drilled and deburred all the #19 holes in all the bottom skins.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 233.0
Total Time (hours): 385.0

 

A little drilling, a little dimpling, a little riveting.

Reassembled the nose skin and match drilled the remaining #40 holes form the skin into the the counterbalance tubes. Then upsized them to #30.

img_2761

 

Dimpled the skins for the stiffeners and ribs.

img_2762

Started back riveting the stiffeners to the skins. After riveting the first one I realized that I neglected to trim them to the correct length. It was obvious that they would interfere with the trailing edge extrusion. I’m guessing that the stiffeners are another shared part with the RV-10 thus requiring shortening for the RV-14.

I was able to trim the one I riveted with a cutoff wheel on the Dremel by sliding a thin piece of scrap aluminum under the stiffener to protect the skin. I deburred it with sandpaper. No harm No foul. I trimmed the rest on the bandsaw and deburred on the ScotchBrite wheel.

Had to quit to go watch the Bruins in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 177.0
Total Time (hours): 389.0

 

Started work on the ailerons

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 1.00.08 PM

Picked and inspected all of the aileron parts. I peeled the protective blue vinyl off of all the parts. Cut apart all of the doublers, hinges, ribs, and stiffeners on the bandsaw. Deburred everything on the Scotchbrite wheel. Dimpled all the ribs and stiffeners with the pneumatic squeezer. Machine countersunk the hinges and doublers.

Everything is ready for scuffing and primer.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 171.0
Total Time (hours): 382.0

 

Fitting the flaps together

Assembled the inboard and outboard rod end ribs. Clecoed the ribs and doubles together. Match drilled the #40 holes and final drilled the 1/4″ hole. Countersunk the #40 holes on the outboard doublers.

 

Clecoed the ribs to the flap hinges and final drilled all the #30 holes.

IMG_2681

 

Modified all the main ribs by removing the top forward tab from each with the Dremel and a cutoff wheel. Finished with a bit of sanding to remove the burrs.

IMG_2683

 

Assembled the flap substructures.

IMG_2684

 

Trimmed the inboard and outboard trailing edges to final size with the bandsaw and finished on the scotch brite wheel.

 

Clecoed the flaps together.

 

Match drilled the two top holes in each of the nose ribs. I also final drilled all of the holes in the trailing edges.

img_2693

 

Assembled the hardware in the hinge to hold everything in alignment and match drilled the four holes in the  trailing edge of the hinge.

img_2692

Disassembled everything.

img_2694

Next I need to machine countersink the holes in the trailing edge wedge and the holes I just drilled in the hinges. Then dimple and prime everything.

Today’s Time (hours): 6.5
Wing Time (hours): 152.5
Total Time (hours): 363.5

 

 

Began work on Flaps

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 5.37.36 PM

Built the cradles for the flaps. Traced a leading edge rib to make a template which I transferred to the plywood blanks. I used the bandsaw to cut out the cradles. I glued and screwed some 2×2 stock to the bottoms so I can clamp them to the bench.

 

Started work on the flap attach brackets. Laid out and drilled the holes in the flange of one of the left halves of the bracket. Then match drilled the other three and deburred everything. The right halves get drilled later in the process.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 146.0
Total Time (hours): 357.0