Wings are complete!!!

Completed the repair to the attach hole that I blew out last week. The fiberglass and micro cured up nicely. I sanded it flush, re-drilled and countersunk the holes, and riveted the nut plate on.

 

The molex connectors that I ordered from McMaster arrived so I inserted the pins and bundled the wires with wire ties.

img_3216

 

This completes construction of the wings! Very excited to move on to the fuselage.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 0.5
Wing Time (hours): 298.5
Total Time (hours): 450.5

 

Completed left wingtip–Almost

All the things I did to the right wing yesterday, I did to the left wing today.

 

 

Thought I was finally at th end of the wings… but ran into another snag. When I was countersinking the screw holes in the tip, I hit a thin spot in the fiberglass and the countersink caught and made a giant hole. So I made a fiberglass patch. I’ll fill in the other side with some micro once the patch sets up. Then I can install the final nut plate and be done with the wings!

 

 

Traveling this week. So I will begin work on the fuselage next weekend.

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 298.0
Total Time (hours): 450.0

 

Completed Right Wingtip

Laid out the cut the left and right wing tips. I made over-ran on of the cuts by an inch or so on the left wing. So I did a little patch and fill with some fiberglass and micro and set it aside to cure. Then continued work on the right wingtip.

 

Cut and installed the nav light lens.

 

Installed the nav/strobe light. Used the template from the plans to drill the wingtip. Terminated the wires with Molex .062 pins. Unfortunately Vans provided a 4-pin molex housing instead of the 5-pin one that matches the wiring harness in the wing. <sigh> Now I get to pay $10 in shipping for two $1 moles housings. Mounted the bracket and installed the light. Tested it out with a 9-volt. That sucker is bright!

 

Fit the wingtip to the wing and set it in place with a ratchet strap. Match drilled the holes from the wing skins to the wingtip. Final drilled and dimpled the holes in the wing for #6 screws. Final drilled the screw holes in the wing tip and then used a nut plate, a screw, and a cleco as a drill jig to drill the nut plate attach holes. Machine countersunk the screw and rivet holes and riveted the nut plates in place.

 

Fit the wing tip rib to the wingtip. Laid out and match drilled rivet holes. Riveted the rib in place.

img_3202

 

Bam! Right wingtip done.

img_3201

 

Today’s Time (hours): 8.0
Wing Time (hours): 293.0
Total Time (hours): 445.0

 

Finished riveting the bottom left skins

Finished riveting the forward half of the outboard left skin.

img_3127

 

Riveted the nut plates to the inboard bottom skin and the inspection ports.

 

Installed the pitot mast, pitot tube, and pitot heat control box.

 

Two of the crimp-on quick disconnect terminals on the pitot tube were not properly crimped by Garmin and pulled off when I went to connect them. Disappointing! Unfortunately I had already put in an Aircraft Spruce order this weekend. I’ll wait until I have more stuff to order and get some new connectors.

 

Reinstalled the aileron push tube and torqued the fasteners.

 

Reinstalled the flaps.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 280.0
Total Time (hours): 432.0

 

Work continues on Fuel Tanks

Final drilled the tank attach Z brackets and machine countersunk the nutplate attach holes. I cut the brackets apart on the band saw and cleaned up all the edges on the scotchbright wheel. I riveted the nutplates in place with the squeezer.

 

 

I machine countersunk the fuel filler flanges.

 

 

I separated the shims with snips and deburred on the scotch bright wheel. I clecoed the the shims to the tank attach brackets and trimmed the ends to be flush with the brackets with snips and cleaned up the edges on the scotchbright wheel. I final drilled all the holes in the shims and dimpled them with the squeezer. I machine countersunk all the holes in the flanges of the attach brackets.

 

 

I came up short on J-channel. Not sure whether I didn’t cut the stock I had efficiently when making up the wing stiffeners or if I missed something in inventory. Either way I don’t have anything long enough to make the two 54″ tank stiffeners. I ordered a couple more pieces from Van’s. Should be here next week some time.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 130.0
Total Time (hours): 341.0

 

 

 

Primed all the parts

Wiped everything down with acetone and shot everything with P60G2 Primer.

 

Painted the outboard bays flat black so it looks decent when seen through the landing light lenses. Kinda wish vans provided some sort of reflector or housing.

 

Dimpled a lot of nut plates. Riveted them to the splice strips, the inspection plate doubler. and the landing light backing plates, and the landing light brackets.

 

Clecoed the inspection port doubler to the skin and riveted in place.

 

Clecoed the ribs to the left skin and drilled the tie-down hole.

 

Made it about half way through riveting the left leading edge before calling it a night.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 107.0
Total Time (hours): 318.0

Finished Section 16–Top Wing Skins

Riveted the nut plates to the inboard rib and skin. Machine countersunk the screw holes.

Match drilled the aileron bracket to the outboard rib and rear spar, deburred, and riveted in place.

img_2446

Top wing skins completed!

img_2447

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 87.0
Total Time (hours): 298.0