Sealed the forward top skin

Ran a fillet of sealant along the intersection of the skin that the fire wall as well as the skin and the sub-panel. Once it sets up, I’ll finish it with a bead on along the seal angles.

img_3927

 

When I painted the interior, I left a section unpainted to seal the vents to the side skin. Today I masked off and painted the left one. I’ll get the right one next time I flip the fuselage over onto its right side.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 202.0
Total Time (hours): 656.5

 

Began riveting top skin and installed canopy release

Sealed and riveted the top skin center section in place leaving the sides free to provide access to install the canopy hinges and release mechanism.

 

Installed the canopy hinges and canopy cradles and connected up the gas springs.

img_3922

 

Installed the canopy release mechanism.

img_3924

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 198.0
Total Time (hours): 652.5

 

Match drilled the cowl attach hinges

Match drilled the cowl attach hinges.

img_3913

 

Took everything apart and dimpled the skin, the firewall flanges, and shims. Machine countersunk the hinges and longerons.

 

I got the nut plates I ordered. So I also finished riveting the instrument panel in place.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 195.0
Total Time (hours): 649.5

 

Assembled and installed fresh air vents

I assembled the fresh air vents by sealing the vents to the ducts with silicone adhesive and then bolting them together with the mounting bracket. I then glued these assemblies in place on the side skins with tank sealant.

 

Assembled the canopy release mechanism. Used the jig that came with the kit to align everything and drilled the tube for the AN3 bolt. Then put everything together.

img_3907

 

Machine countersunk the doublers and top skin for AN426AD2 rivets using a #34 drill bit. These suckers are teeny tiny. Double flush riveted the doublers to the forward top skin with the squeezer.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 193.0
Total Time (hours): 647.5

 

Installed Canopy Decks and Panel Frame

Laid a bead of tank sealant to fill the gap between the side skin, longeron, and canopy deck. Then I clecoed and riveted the canopy decks in place.

 

Riveted the wire supports to the bottoms of the panel standoffs.

img_3903

 

Clecoed the panel in place. I couldn’t rivet it because I ran out of K1000-06 nut plates. Ordered from Spruce.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 191.0
Total Time (hours): 645.5