Scuffed all the parts

Scuffed all the parts.

img_3297

 

Peeled, Deburred, and scuffed the bottom skin.

img_3298

Hit Harbor Freight today… Picked up a stand for my grinder and a new HVLP paint gun. Using the grinder on the bench has been a bit of a pain. Up to this point I was using a small touch-up gun for all of my priming. For the bigger sessions, I would have to refill the paint cup multiple times. This gun has a bigger cup and is better quality.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 20.0
Total Time (hours): 474.5

 

Got Organized

Sorted all the rivets and hardware from the bags they arrived in into the parts organizers I picked up. Used the Dymo Rhino to label everything.

 

Added the wing and options plans to the plans binder.

img_2191-1

Rearranged the shop and re-covered the work benches with new paper.

 

Unwrapped the spars and put them up on the work benches.

img_2195

 

Ready to build!

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 10.0
Total Time (hours): 221.0

 

Picked and Inspected Parts for Elevators

Read through the plans for the elevators and picked all the parts. I also cleaned up the workshop.

I ordered some fuel tank sealant from SkyGeek. Neither Van’s nor Spruce had pint cans. I only need enough to cement the elevator and trim tab ribs in place. And the stuff has a relatively short shelf life.

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 10.03.16 AM

IMG_1752

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Empennage Time (hours): 77.0
Total Time (hours): 77.0

 

Vertical Stabilizer Complete!

Scuffed and prepped the new parts. Then sprayed them with primer.

IMG_1677

Riveted the doubler and ribs to the forward spar.

IMG_1678

Clecoed the skin to the forward spar and ribs and started riveting.

IMG_1679

Finished riveting the skin to the forward spar and ribs.

IMG_1681

Clecoed and riveted the rear spar to the skin and ribs.

IMG_1682

VS Complete! Very pleased with how well it turned out. Once I replaced the parts I messed up, everything went smoothly. I’m much happier with my workmanship than the first attempt. A little experience makes a world of difference.

IMG_1683

IMG_1684

Rearranged the work benches and started picking parts for the horizontal stabilizer.

IMG_1685

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 46.0
Total Time (hours): 46.0

 

Toolkit Arrived

I ordered the RV14 toolkit from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool with the pneumatic squeezer and DRDT2 options. It arrived yesterday and I unpacked and inventoried the contents. The pins to mount the toke to the squeezer were missing and the DRDT2 was shipped separately. I emailed Cleaveland last night and got a response first thing this morning with an apology for the oversight. They indicated they’d ship the missing parts immediately. Great service, Cleaveland!

img_1470

 

Two more worktables

Remy and I built two more worktables last weekend. Actually we built one together and Remy built the second one on his own Tuesday while I was away on business. His came out nicer than mine. We actually took the time to clamp the pieces and drill holes for the screws to avoid splitting the two by fours this time. We’ll move them down to the basement this weekend.

img_14751