Got Organized

Sorted all the rivets and hardware from the bags they arrived in into the parts organizers I picked up. Used the Dymo Rhino to label everything.

 

Added the wing and options plans to the plans binder.

img_2191-1

Rearranged the shop and re-covered the work benches with new paper.

 

Unwrapped the spars and put them up on the work benches.

img_2195

 

Ready to build!

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 10.0
Total Time (hours): 221.0

 

We built a toolbox and mostly bought some primer.

Sophie and I started off this morning by heading to the Sherwin-Williams store in Roswell to see if they had any P60G2. Of course they didn’t but they said that the Marietta store had 4 gallons in stock. Drove to Marietta. They had the P60G2 but no R7K44 reducer. When the lady in Roswell said they had the P60G2 I assumed they would have the reducer so didn’t bother to ask. The gentleman at the Marietta store indicated that they had the R7K44 at their Product Finishes Center in Lithia Springs but that they closed at 12:00. Swell. I bought the P60G2 from him and drove to Lithia springs in search of reducer. He was wrong. They are closed on Saturdays. I travel next week and return to ATL Thursday morning. So I’ll swing by Lithia Springs on the way home from the airport.

img_1479

On a brighter note, the airplane factory is coming together. We gave it a trial run and built the Van’s toolbox practice project. Remy is a natural. All his rivets looked great. I mangled everything I touched. Despite my ham-handedness we managed to turn out a pretty neat toolbox. We had lot’s of fun learning new skills together. I’m going to complete the other vans practice project, a section of control surface, before I start work on the plane. The empennage should be here next week!

I also covered the two worktables I intend to use for assembly with heavy brown craft paper. I had a big role hanging around the house. I was thinking I’d pick up some carpet remnants but then thought I’d give the paper a try first. I just stapled it to the two-by-fours around the sides of the tables. Worked pretty well for us today. If it get’s messed up I can just rip it off and replace it. It seems like it will be pretty durable though. And it’s easily cleared of chips and scraps with a bench brush and dustpan.

img_14761

img_14771

img_14782

Two more worktables

Remy and I built two more worktables last weekend. Actually we built one together and Remy built the second one on his own Tuesday while I was away on business. His came out nicer than mine. We actually took the time to clamp the pieces and drill holes for the screws to avoid splitting the two by fours this time. We’ll move them down to the basement this weekend.

img_14751

 

I’ve got an airplane factory in my basement

I’ve decided to build my RV14 in my basement. It has heat and AC. There’s plenty of space. It’s reasonably isolated from everyone else’s day to day activities. The garage would have been cramped, cold in the winter, hot in the summer, I would have to keep my car outside, and the garage is also our main means if ingress and egress. So an airplane factory in the garage would have inconvenienced everyone.

I completed the second worktable and Remy helped me move them into the basement from the garage. I’ll keep you posted as I organize the workshops and start to acquire the tools I need.

I sent off an email to Van’s with some questions about shipping, payment, and such that I needed to know before I place an order for my empennage kit.

img_1461