Did the Nasty

Decided to just get this out of the way tonight…

IMG_1836

I went through three changes of gloves and still managed to get it on my hands.

Prepped the scuffed surfaces with isopropyl.

IMG_1835

Sealed the trialing edge ribs in place. Peeled the tape and stuck the top skins to the trailing edges. Weighted down the aft section to ensure good bond of the skins to the ribs. The sealer cures in six hours according to the data sheet. So should be riveting the trailing edge and finishing up tomorrow.

IMG_1837

Bent the trim tab hinge pin per the plans.

IMG_1838

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Empennage Time (hours): 119.5
Total Time (hours): 119.5

 

Riveted Spars and Ribs in Left Elevator

I started off the day by taping the trailing edge to the bottom right elevator skin with the 3M VHB. tape.

IMG_1830

I also completed the trim servo assembly. I need to order a crimper to terminate the wires from the trim servo with the supplied micro molex connector. I also need to get a label maker to label all the terminations.

IMG_1831

Then my new squeezer set from Aircraft Spruce showed up. It’s nice having them relatively local. If I order by 4:00 they’ll ship same day and shipping via UPS ground gets it here next day from Peachtree City.

With the new squeezer sets I was able to complete the riveting of the hinge portion of the skin to the aft spar.

IMG_1833

I essentially completed all of the steps that I did to the right elevator yesterday to the left elevator today. So now both elevators are ready to have the aft ribs glued and the trailing edges riveted.

IMG_1834

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Empennage Time (hours): 118.5
Total Time (hours): 118.5

 

Riveted the Forward Spar Assemblies

Riveted the gusset to the left root rib and riveted the inboard and outboard halves of the tip ribs together. Spent a bit of time with a square and hand seamers tweaking to ensure everything is straight.

IMG_1803

Riveted the tip ribs to the spars. Riveted the hinge reinforcement plates and nut plates to the spars.

 

IMG_1805

Clecoed and riveted the counterweight skins to the tip ribs.

IMG_1807

Riveted the elevator horns to the spars.

IMG_1808

Bruins vs. Blackhawks in the winter classic on tv… taking a break to watch a little hockey.

Today’s Time (hours): 2.5
Empennage Time (hours): 106.0
Total Time (hours): 106.0

 

More Work on Elevators

Jared Solomon and Wes Greer stopped by today and helped move the elevators along. I really appreciate having experienced builders helping me out.  Things went really fast and their advice is incredibly valuable. Had lot’s of fun building together, too. Thanks guys!

Today we final drilled the tip ribs to one another and to the counterweight skins. We cut the foam trailing edge and trim tab ribs. We trimmed and deburred the trim tab skins. We trimmed the right elevator aft spar. We bent the closeout tabs on the left elevator skin. We fit and drilled the trim tab hinge. We clecoed everything together and fit/trimmed the elevator trailing edges.

IMG_1759

Jared and Wes went home and I continued building. Not even ten minutes unsupervised and I screwed up! I misunderstood the interface between the trailing edge extrusion and the elevator wing tip. I removed way too much material from the trailing edge. I didn’t realize that the wing tip would be trimmed and butt up against the trailing edge. Had I read forward to the “Empennage Fairings” section, I would have understood how this went together. Oh well… Ordered a new trailing edge from Van’s.

IMG_1765

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Empennage Time (hours): 85.0
Total Time (hours): 85.0

 

Primed and Assembled Horizontal Stabilizer

Scuffed and primed the skins, ribs, stringers and center web.

IMG_1728

IMG_1729

Riveted together the inboard ribs, web, and stringers.

IMG_1732

Clecoed and riveted the ribs to the front spar

IMG_1735

Clecoed and riveted four nose ribs to the skins. Special thanks to Jared Solomon for lending me his HS cradles. Also for the awesome flight flight yesterday in his RV-14. Makes me want to build faster.

IMG_1736

IMG_1737

Clecoed the forward spar and associated substructure to the skins. Ready for final riveting. Should have the HS buttoned up tomorrow!

IMG_1740

IMG_1741

A very satisfying day of progress!

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Empennage Time (hours): 69.0
Total Time (hours): 69.0

 

Prepared HS Ribs

Deburred all the HS ribs with 400 grit sand paper. Sand paper seemed like the most straightforward approach because of all the segments in the flanges. I was able to get in between the segments with it.

I fluted the ribs and modified the two nose ribs and two inspar ribs per the plans and marked them.

IMG_1717

I drilled the inboard nose and inspar ribs to the forward spar. Then I deburred all the holes in all the ribs and then dimpled all the ones that mate up to the skins. So. Many. Holes. I can’t even imagine what the wings are going to be like.

IMG_1718

I also created a template to make cradles to hold the HS when assembling. I’ll scrounge some plywood to cut them from and some sort of square stock for the bases.

IMG_1716

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 61.0
Total Time (hours): 61.0