Final drilled and dimpled tank skins

Final drilled and deburred all the #19 holes. Dimpled the #19 holes with the squeezer. Dimpled the #40 holes with a combination of squeezer, DRDT-2, and close quarters dimple dies.

 

Ready to start assembling and sealing.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 193.0
Total Time (hours): 345.0

 

Aileron assembly continues

Dimpled the leading and trailing edge holes in the top and bottom skins as well as the holes in the main ribs attached to them. Dimpled all the holes in the leading edge skins as well as the spars.

 

Machine countersunk the trailing edges.

img_2785

 

Riveted the skins to the nose ribs.

 

Blind riveted the spars to the nose ribs.

img_2789

 

Riveted the top and bottom skins to the nose assembly of the left aileron. Riveted the top and bottom ribs together. Riveted the nose skin to the counterbalance.

 

Prepared the left trailing edge by wiping it down the alcohol and applied the VHB tape to both sides. Then set it in place in the aileron and weighted everything down while resting the edge on a piece of angle iron. I remove the top backing tape by working my way across the aileron by removing a handful of clecos peeling the tape then replacing them with the next handful of clecos down the line until the whole backing tape was removed. I let the tape set up for a while and repeated the process for the bottom.

 

While the VHB tape sets up on the left aileron, I got started on assembling and riveting the right aileron. Got as far as riveting the top skin in place.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 185.5
Total Time (hours): 397.5

 

Attach bottom rudder fairing

Last night I put a layer of glass over the foam in the VS tip.

img_2127

This morning, I trimmed and sanded the edges.

img_2128

I filled with a thick mixture of glass micro bubbles and epoxy resin.

img_2130

I set aside the VS tip to cure and got started attaching the bottom rudder fairing. I measured and marked the fairing and match drilled #40 and clecoed in place.

img_2131

I used a nut plate, a #6 screw and a rivet as a drill jig.

img_2132

I dimpled all the nut plate attach holes with the squeezer. I needed the close quarters dimple dies for the aft-most holes.

img_2133

I dimpled the nut plates.

img_2134

I machine countersunk the rudder horn bracket. It’s too thick to dimple.

img_2135

I riveted the nut plates in place. I made the aft-most hole too close to the aft edge of the attach strip. So I cut one ear off of the nut plate.

img_2136

I machine countersunk the fiberglass for #6 screws.

img_2137

Everything went together just fine.

img_2138

I disassembled and started work on the doubler for the tail light. I centered and taped it in place. I drilled the #30 holes and clecoed.  I ordered a #43 drill and a 4 40 tap from amazon for the other two holes.

img_2141

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 209.5
Total Time (hours): 209.5