Last night I put a layer of glass over the foam in the VS tip.
This morning, I trimmed and sanded the edges.
I filled with a thick mixture of glass micro bubbles and epoxy resin.
I set aside the VS tip to cure and got started attaching the bottom rudder fairing. I measured and marked the fairing and match drilled #40 and clecoed in place.
I used a nut plate, a #6 screw and a rivet as a drill jig.
I dimpled all the nut plate attach holes with the squeezer. I needed the close quarters dimple dies for the aft-most holes.
I dimpled the nut plates.
I machine countersunk the rudder horn bracket. It’s too thick to dimple.
I riveted the nut plates in place. I made the aft-most hole too close to the aft edge of the attach strip. So I cut one ear off of the nut plate.
I machine countersunk the fiberglass for #6 screws.
Everything went together just fine.
I disassembled and started work on the doubler for the tail light. I centered and taped it in place. I drilled the #30 holes and clecoed. I ordered a #43 drill and a 4 40 tap from amazon for the other two holes.
|Today’s Time (hours):||3.0|
|Empennage Time (hours):||209.5|
|Total Time (hours):||209.5|