Attach bottom rudder fairing

Last night I put a layer of glass over the foam in the VS tip.

img_2127

This morning, I trimmed and sanded the edges.

img_2128

I filled with a thick mixture of glass micro bubbles and epoxy resin.

img_2130

I set aside the VS tip to cure and got started attaching the bottom rudder fairing. I measured and marked the fairing and match drilled #40 and clecoed in place.

img_2131

I used a nut plate, a #6 screw and a rivet as a drill jig.

img_2132

I dimpled all the nut plate attach holes with the squeezer. I needed the close quarters dimple dies for the aft-most holes.

img_2133

I dimpled the nut plates.

img_2134

I machine countersunk the rudder horn bracket. It’s too thick to dimple.

img_2135

I riveted the nut plates in place. I made the aft-most hole too close to the aft edge of the attach strip. So I cut one ear off of the nut plate.

img_2136

I machine countersunk the fiberglass for #6 screws.

img_2137

Everything went together just fine.

img_2138

I disassembled and started work on the doubler for the tail light. I centered and taped it in place. I drilled the #30 holes and clecoed.  I ordered a #43 drill and a 4 40 tap from amazon for the other two holes.

img_2141

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 209.5
Total Time (hours): 209.5

 

Attached left elevator tip

I final drilled #30 the elevator skin to the tip. Then I removed the tip and countersunk the holes.

img_2068

I dimpled the holes in the elevator.

img_2069

I had to remove the counterweight to dimple the forward two holes. Then reinstalled and re-torqued the nuts.

img_2070

Installed the tip with CS4 pop rivets. I’m thinking I might replace my pop rivet tool. I’m getting a burr on the top of all of the rivets and I’ve had several break off in the tool. I’m careful to keep the tool perpendicular to the work but this keeps happening. A while back, a mandrel got jammed in the tool. I disassembled it to remove the mandrel and reassembled it. But I think the jaws are not grabbing properly now.

img_2072

In other news, you can see that after trimming and sanding the left HS tip, it fits nicely. The right tip is another story. I think I neglected to final fit it after I sanded the foam or perhaps I seated the foam too deeply. In any event, it spread the tip about an eighth too far and now the tip wont fit between the top and bottom skins at the spar. I’ll noodle on how I might salvage the part for a while and If I can’t I’ll order a new one. My best thought at this point is to take a 1/8″ wedge out of the middle of the foam/fiberglass with a saw and then put  another layer of glass over it.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Empennage Time (hours): 201.0
Total Time (hours): 201.0