I final drilled #30 the elevator skin to the tip. Then I removed the tip and countersunk the holes.
I dimpled the holes in the elevator.
I had to remove the counterweight to dimple the forward two holes. Then reinstalled and re-torqued the nuts.
Installed the tip with CS4 pop rivets. I’m thinking I might replace my pop rivet tool. I’m getting a burr on the top of all of the rivets and I’ve had several break off in the tool. I’m careful to keep the tool perpendicular to the work but this keeps happening. A while back, a mandrel got jammed in the tool. I disassembled it to remove the mandrel and reassembled it. But I think the jaws are not grabbing properly now.
In other news, you can see that after trimming and sanding the left HS tip, it fits nicely. The right tip is another story. I think I neglected to final fit it after I sanded the foam or perhaps I seated the foam too deeply. In any event, it spread the tip about an eighth too far and now the tip wont fit between the top and bottom skins at the spar. I’ll noodle on how I might salvage the part for a while and If I can’t I’ll order a new one. My best thought at this point is to take a 1/8″ wedge out of the middle of the foam/fiberglass with a saw and then put another layer of glass over it.
|Today’s Time (hours):||1.0|
|Empennage Time (hours):||201.0|
|Total Time (hours):||201.0|
One thought on “Attached left elevator tip”
Yeah, not that I think about it, we didn’t test fit the right tip. You’ve got a good idea there. Saw through the fiberglass and foam to adjust and then put another layer of cloth over the front.
LikeLiked by 1 person