Horizontal Stabilizer Complete

Riveted the skin to the forward spar and all the ribs. Did all of these rivets with the gun and small tungsten bucking bar. It was a long day. Only had to drill out a couple of duds, though.

IMG_1743

Then clecoed the rear spar to the ribs and skins and riveted in place. The inboard and outboard ribs are riveted with AN470-4 rivets while all the others are blind-riveted with LP4’s. I used the squeezer to rivet the skins to the rear spar flanges.

Et Viola…

IMG_1744

IMG_1745

Merry Christmas!

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Empennage Time (hours): 76.0
Total Time (hours): 76.0

 

Primed and Assembled Horizontal Stabilizer

Scuffed and primed the skins, ribs, stringers and center web.

IMG_1728

IMG_1729

Riveted together the inboard ribs, web, and stringers.

IMG_1732

Clecoed and riveted the ribs to the front spar

IMG_1735

Clecoed and riveted four nose ribs to the skins. Special thanks to Jared Solomon for lending me his HS cradles. Also for the awesome flight flight yesterday in his RV-14. Makes me want to build faster.

IMG_1736

IMG_1737

Clecoed the forward spar and associated substructure to the skins. Ready for final riveting. Should have the HS buttoned up tomorrow!

IMG_1740

IMG_1741

A very satisfying day of progress!

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Empennage Time (hours): 69.0
Total Time (hours): 69.0

 

Countersunk spar flanges and Stringers and dimpled skins

Machine countersunk the flanges of both spars.

IMG_1719

Used the blunted soldering iron to remove the blue plastic from the rivet lines. Then used a file and sand paper to clean up the edges. They were pretty rough.

IMG_1721

Used the trusty DRDT-2 to dimple the skins. Good upper body workout. Lots of holes!

IMG_1723

Tada…

IMG_1724

Ribs, stringers, and skins all ready for scuff and prime.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 64.0
Total Time (hours): 64.0

 

Prepared HS Ribs

Deburred all the HS ribs with 400 grit sand paper. Sand paper seemed like the most straightforward approach because of all the segments in the flanges. I was able to get in between the segments with it.

I fluted the ribs and modified the two nose ribs and two inspar ribs per the plans and marked them.

IMG_1717

I drilled the inboard nose and inspar ribs to the forward spar. Then I deburred all the holes in all the ribs and then dimpled all the ones that mate up to the skins. So. Many. Holes. I can’t even imagine what the wings are going to be like.

IMG_1718

I also created a template to make cradles to hold the HS when assembling. I’ll scrounge some plywood to cut them from and some sort of square stock for the bases.

IMG_1716

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 61.0
Total Time (hours): 61.0

 

Forward Spar Assembly Complete

Riveted the doubler and spar caps to the forward spar.

IMG_1711

IMG_1712

IMG_1713

I received the torque wrench I ordered from Amazon and torqued the nuts securing the inboard hinge bracket to the rear spar.

IMG_1714

Both forward and rear spar assemblies completed. On to the ribs…

IMG_1715

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Empennage Time (hours): 58.0
Total Time (hours): 58.0

 

Rear spar assembly complete

Scuffed the forward spar and primed all of the forward and rear spar parts.

IMG_1702

Riveted the front spar doubler. Used the squeezer for most of these.

IMG_1704

Riveted all of the hinge brackets. Used the gun for these. My riveting skills have improved markedly. I haven’t had to drill any rivets since working on the rudder.

I bolted the inboard hinge bracket to the spar per the plans and realized I don’t have an in/lb torque wrench. So I ordered one from Amazon along with some tamperproof marker paint so I can keep track of which nuts have been torqued and easily inspect them later.

IMG_1705

Off to FLL for work for the next few days. So no further progress expected until later in the week.

Today’s Time (hours): 2.5
Empennage Time (hours): 56.0
Total Time (hours): 56.0

 

Horizontal Stabilizer Front Spar

Got the font spar to the point where it’s ready to be scuffed and primed. This was way more work than it looked like in the plans. It all started with the spar caps. They had to be trimmed and deburred. Then they’re match drilled to the spar web. Then disassembled, deburred, reassembled. Then they are match drilled to the spar flanges, disassembled and deburred. There were approximately a million and one holes drilled and deburred in these things.

IMG_1697

IMG_1698

Then on to the spar doubler. The usual drill (no pun intended)… Deburr edges, fit, cleco, final drill, disassemble, deburr holes.

IMG_1699

Countersunk twelve of the holes on the doubler.

IMG_1700

And here are all the front spar parts ready for scuff and prime.

IMG_1701

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Empennage Time (hours): 53.5
Total Time (hours): 53.5