Primed all the remaining wing parts

Drilled holes for and installed angle of attack sensor tubing. Also ran wires for pitot heat.

 

Drilled the rivet holes for all the aileron push tube ends and prepared all the parts for priming.

 

Primed all the remaining wing parts.

 

Installed the aileron and flap gap fairings.

 

Assembled the ADAHRS mounting bracket.

img_2945

 

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 249.0
Total Time (hours): 401.0

 

Tested the Fuel Tanks

Tested the tanks using the test kit from Van’s. Attached a balloon to the fuel strainer to regulate the pressure and as a visual indicator that the tank was pressurized. Used a spray bottle with soapy water to spray down the tank to find any leaks. No leaks found!

 

I attached the tanks to the wings but had to remove them because the tank skin overlapped the outboard leading edge skin by a few thousandths. I used a file to adjust the edge of the skin. I final-attached the tanks to the wings with AN3 bolts, torqued them to spec and marked them with torque seal. I got about half way through putting all the screws in. I’ll have to finish those up next week when I get back from Florida.

 

I’m definitely in the home stretch with the wings. Looking forward to getting everything buttoned up next weekend.

355bfa

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 242.0
Total Time (hours): 394.0

 

Pitot mast fit and all remaining wing parts prepped for primer and assembly

Cut, deburred, dimpled, and scuffed all the remaining wing parts to prep for priming. This included the aileron trim, the aileron push tubes, the inspection covers, and the wing tip ribs.

Fabricated a bracket to secure the pitot mounting bracket to the wing rib.Drilled the holes in the mounting bracket to match the holes in the rib. Then match drilled the new rib bracket to the mounting bracket and the rib. Match drilled everything to the skin and cut out the hole for the pitot mast using 1/2″ drill, Dremel, files, and sand paper. Pleased with how everything came out. Should be nice and secure once everything is riveted together.

 

Dimpled and scuffed the skins. Everything is ready for primer and assembly.

 

Ordered avionics and hoping to get the A/P servo, pitot tube, and adahrs installed before closing up the wings. I also ordered tubing for the AOA line and wire for the pitot heat. Hopefully I’ll have everything and be able to get the wings buttoned up next week.

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 239.0
Total Time (hours): 391.0

 

Started work on the bottom skins

After the mess of the fuel tanks, I took the time to clean up the shop, replace the paper on the bench tops, and vacuum the floor.

img_2892

 

Fabricated the flap gap doublers. Dimpled the flap and aileron gap fairings. Peeled and scuffed the forward facing side of the fairings.

 

Clecoed the ADAHRS mount together and match drilled to the j-channel stiffener. Disassembled, dimpled, and prepped all the parts. Countersunk and fluted the retainers.

 

Clecoed the inboard bottom skins to the wing assemblies. Match drilled the nut plate holes to the inboard ribs. Final drilled and deburred all the #19 holes in all the bottom skins.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 233.0
Total Time (hours): 385.0

 

Completed assembling left tank

Same drill as the right tank yesterday…

 

Both tanks are now fully assembled. I’ll give them a few days and then pressure test them to find and seal any leaks. Then I can attach them to the wings and move on to the bottom wing skins and aileron actuation.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 229.0
Total Time (hours): 381.0

 

Finished assembling right tank.

Added a bead of tank sealant for the baffle. Clecoed the baffle in place. Riveted the baffle to the ribs and then riveted the z-brackets in place. Then riveted the baffle to the skin.

 

Installed the fuel drain, the fuel sender, AN fittings, and the fuel cap.

 

Machine countersunk the holes in the tank attach bracket for #8 screws.

img_2881

 

The right tank is now complete and once the sealant has cured, I can pressure test it. Hoping to get the left tank to the same state tomorrow.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 226.0
Total Time (hours): 378.0