Began work on Flaps

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 5.37.36 PM

Built the cradles for the flaps. Traced a leading edge rib to make a template which I transferred to the plywood blanks. I used the bandsaw to cut out the cradles. I glued and screwed some 2×2 stock to the bottoms so I can clamp them to the bench.

 

Started work on the flap attach brackets. Laid out and drilled the holes in the flange of one of the left halves of the bracket. Then match drilled the other three and deburred everything. The right halves get drilled later in the process.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 146.0
Total Time (hours): 357.0

 

 

Riveted right outboard leading edge skins to ribs

Riveted right outboard leading edge skins to ribs with some help from Remy.

img_2554

Placed the leading edge back into the cradle and clecoed the J channel stiffener and the landing light bracket in place. I’ll rivet those in place tomorrow. It was getting late.

img_2555

Sophie deburred the edges of all the tank ribs for me while I was in Toronto this week.

img_2556

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 113.0
Total Time (hours): 324.0

Finished dimpling everything

Clecoed the left leading skin to the ribs.

img_2492

Slid the j channel into place and clecoed the starter hole. Then match drilled all the holes from the skin into the stiffener.

Match drilled the aft-most top and bottom holes in each of the ribs.

img_2497

Disassembled everything and repeated the whole process for the right wing. Deburred and dimpled all the holes.

Dressed the edges of the skin with a file and sand paper.  The cut-outs for the landing lights were pretty jagged. I cleaned them up with an abrasive drum on the Dremel and some sandpaper.

Dimpled the skins with the DRDT2 and scuffed the insides with a scotch brite pad.

img_2505

Dimpled the rest of the parts.

Everything is ready for priming and assembly.

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 101.0
Total Time (hours): 312.0

Work continues on outboard leading edges

Deburred all the edges of all the things. The doublers for the landing light lenses looked like they were crafted by Van’s with a chainsaw. You can see the before and after shot below. I used sandpaper to work the flanges around the nose of the ribs so that the skins don’t telegraph any faceting.

Trimmed the four ribs called out in the plans so that they will fit around the spar braces. Finished with files and sandpaper.

img_2484

Flattened, straightened and fluted all the ribs. Then final drilled and deburred all the holes.

Dimpled all the holes with the squeezer.

Cut the J-channel stiffeners to length and drilled the first inboard hole in each.

img_2489

Final drilled #19 the screw holes in the splice strips. Carefully deburred the holes and dimpled for #8 screws. Dimpled all the #40 holes as well.

img_2490

In other news, I received the order confirmation for the engine I ordered at Sun ‘n Fun. The ship date from Lycoming is October 11.

series-engine-390

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 94.0
Total Time (hours): 305.0

Attached nut plates at inboard rib and countersunk screw holes

Riveted the nut plates that will be used to attach the wing attach point fairings. I was able to squeeze all the rivets.

img_2428

Machine countersunk the corresponding #8 screw holes to fit a dimpled skin.

img_2429

Clecoed and match drilled the outboard aileron bracket. Then deburred everything and clecoed back in place.

img_2430

It was a bit too ate in the evening for riveting so that will have to wait until tomorrow. If Remy can buck a few more rivets with me, I should be able to get the stiffeners riveted in and the left wing top skins will be complete!

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 81.5
Total Time (hours): 292.5

Final drilled ribs to spars and drilled systems holes.

Spent a lot of time finishing the deburring of all the holes in the flanges and finishing dimpling the lower flanges of the ribs.

Clecoed the ribs to the spars and final drilled all the holes in the forward flanges.

img_2273

Disassembled everything  and deburred the rest of the holes.

Measured, marked, and drilled the systems holes with the step drill.

Deburred all the the systems holes.

Ready to prime and assemble ribs.

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 45.5
Total Time (hours): 256.5

 

More rib work

I set the spars on the work benches opposite one another and removed all the bolts.

img_2266

It went a lot quicker when I remembered I had an impact driver in the tool box.

img_2267

There are a whole bunch of bolts in the spars.

img_2268

Back to the ribs… Deburring holes and dimpling the bottom flanges.

img_2271

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 38.5
Total Time (hours): 249.5