Fixed the right aileron hinge and riveted to rear spar

Did some flying with Jared today in his RV-14A. Awesome day dancing around some scattered clouds and some fun aerobatics. Thanks for the great flight today, Jared! The aerobatic training is definitely paying off. Sorry no pics. I was having too much fun!

Meanwhile back at the airplane factory…

Received the replacement parts from vans and did the little bit of fabrication necessary to prepare the doublers and attach brackets.

img_2369

Deburred and primed the new parts with SEM rattle can primer. Riveted the attach brackets to the hinge.

img_2372

 

Riveted the hinge and doublers to the right rear spar.

img_2373

 

The mistake cost me $45 in parts and an hour and a half of build time.

img_2376

 

Got my new 3/8″ reamer from McMaster Carr. Used it in the drill press to precisely size the rear spar attach holes. The twisted flutes cut like butter.

img_2380

 

Clecoed the rear spars to the wing ribs. Ready to rivet tomorrow.

img_2381

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 67.0
Total Time (hours): 278.0

Much progress on rear spar

Peeled the vinyl from all the parts. Did the minor cutting and fabrication called out in the plans. Cleaned up and deburred all the edges with file, deburring tool, scotch brite wheel, and sandpaper. Scuffed everything with a scotch brite pad.

img_2298

 

Assembled and final drilled the aileron hinges. The inboard hinges are from the service bulletin. I’m surprised they haven’t updated the plans yet. Had to follow the SB instructions.

img_2299

img_2304

 

Clamped the spar doublers to the spars and match drilled them.

 

Drilled out the aileron pushrod hole in the inboard doublers and cleaned them up with the Dremel.

 

Clecoed the right rear spar together with the wing assembly.

img_2315

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 59.0
Total Time (hours): 270.0

Rinse, repeat, right spar complete

Match drilled the J channel to the spar.

img_2217

Machine countersunk the nutplate attach holes.

img_2220

 

Riveted in the nutplates

img_2221

 

Countersunk the screw holes.

img_2222

 

Machine countersunk all the skin attach holes.

img_2229

 

Riveted in the nutplates at the tip end of the spar.

img_2225

 

Riveted the doubler to the spar and installed the tank attach nutplates.

img_2226

 

Final drilled, deburred, scuffed and primed the aileron bell crank brackets

img_2224

Installed and torqued the aileron bell crank brackets.

img_2230

Right spar done!

img_2231

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 21.5
Total Time (hours): 232.5

 

Finished Elevators and Worked on Aft Three Bulkhead Assemblies

Yay! Rivets came in the mail and I was able to finally complete the elevators.

IMG_1877

Cleaned up the edges and deburred the longerons and J stiffeners.

IMG_1875

Matched drilled the aft bulkheads to the VS aft spar.

IMG_1876

Countersunk the tie down support.

IMG_1882

Dimpled the bulkheads. I think I found a problem with the plans. They called for dimpling the #30 holes in the web of the bulkhead. Note the two dimples along the edge of the tiedown bracket. they are keeping it from sitting flush against the bulkhead. I’ll likely need to undimple these holes somehow.

IMG_1883

Match drilled the next bulkhead to the HS attach bars and dimpled the flanges.

IMG_1885-1

Likewise with the next bulkhead…

IMG_1887.jpg

Ready for deburring, scuffing, and priming.

IMG_1888

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Empennage Time (hours): 137.0
Total Time (hours): 137.0

 

Fabricated the HS Attach Support and Rudder Stops

I cut the horizontal stabilizer attach bar support angle from the provided aluminum angle. I measured it out with the calipers, marked it. Drilled stop holes in the inside corners and used the bandsaw to remove most of the material. I finished removing material with a vixen file and cleaned it up on the scotch brite wheel.

IMG_1869

Made the rudder stops from the provided aluminum angle. I measured with calipers, marked up the angle and cut it on the band saw. I cleaned it up with a file and the scotch brite wheel.

IMG_1870

I machine countersunk the top two holes in each rudder stop. I was totally stumped on how to countersink the other two holes on the inside of the angle. The countersink cage won’t fit. After some head-scratching I gave Jared a call to see what he did.

IMG_1872

Apparently theres a thing called a “paint cutter arbor” that has the same threading as the countersink cage and one can mount the countersink cutter into it and mount it in the drill press. So I ordered one from Aircraft Spruce.

screen shot 2019-01-11 at 7.42.13 pm

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.5
Empennage Time (hours): 131.0
Total Time (hours): 131.0

 

New Trailing Edge and Skin Prep

I got home from a grocery run with the family and my replacement trailing edge was waiting in the driveway. Thank you, Van’s. Their shipping team is not taking any chances. The trailing edge was wrapped in paper, and sealed in a length of PVC pipe with PVC end caps. The end caps were sealed with that tape they use for packing everything. This is the stickiest tape ever. I’m thinking I might build a plane from it after the RV is done.

IMG_1800

IMG_1801

I was just going to bring it down to the shop. But once I saw the packing job, I just had to open it.  …and since I was down there and the drill press was still set up for countersinking trailing edge, I clecoed it to the skin, marked it, trimmed it, and finished the outboard end correctly this time. And then I countersunk it.

…and while I’m down here, I might as well prep the skins for bonding, too. Same drill as the trim tab… Measure, tape, strip primer with isopropyl, sand, and wipe with acetone.

IMG_1802

Ready to start assembling the elevators!

Happy New Year!

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Empennage Time (hours): 103.5
Total Time (hours): 103.5