Began riveting top skin and installed canopy release

Sealed and riveted the top skin center section in place leaving the sides free to provide access to install the canopy hinges and release mechanism.

 

Installed the canopy hinges and canopy cradles and connected up the gas springs.

img_3922

 

Installed the canopy release mechanism.

img_3924

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 198.0
Total Time (hours): 652.5

 

Assembled and installed fresh air vents

I assembled the fresh air vents by sealing the vents to the ducts with silicone adhesive and then bolting them together with the mounting bracket. I then glued these assemblies in place on the side skins with tank sealant.

 

Assembled the canopy release mechanism. Used the jig that came with the kit to align everything and drilled the tube for the AN3 bolt. Then put everything together.

img_3907

 

Machine countersunk the doublers and top skin for AN426AD2 rivets using a #34 drill bit. These suckers are teeny tiny. Double flush riveted the doublers to the forward top skin with the squeezer.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 193.0
Total Time (hours): 647.5

 

Began Work on Upper Forward Fuselage (Section 35)

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 11.38.33 PM

 

Picked, inspected, and peeled all the parts.

 

I separated all the parts that required parting and began fabrication. I made the canopy release pins by shortening and chamfering the ends of a couple of eye bolts. I made the canopy release push tubes from some aluminum tubing.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 176.0
Total Time (hours): 630.5