Riveted Spars and Ribs in Left Elevator

I started off the day by taping the trailing edge to the bottom right elevator skin with the 3M VHB. tape.

IMG_1830

I also completed the trim servo assembly. I need to order a crimper to terminate the wires from the trim servo with the supplied micro molex connector. I also need to get a label maker to label all the terminations.

IMG_1831

Then my new squeezer set from Aircraft Spruce showed up. It’s nice having them relatively local. If I order by 4:00 they’ll ship same day and shipping via UPS ground gets it here next day from Peachtree City.

With the new squeezer sets I was able to complete the riveting of the hinge portion of the skin to the aft spar.

IMG_1833

I essentially completed all of the steps that I did to the right elevator yesterday to the left elevator today. So now both elevators are ready to have the aft ribs glued and the trailing edges riveted.

IMG_1834

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Empennage Time (hours): 118.5
Total Time (hours): 118.5

 

Riveted the Forward Spar Assemblies

Riveted the gusset to the left root rib and riveted the inboard and outboard halves of the tip ribs together. Spent a bit of time with a square and hand seamers tweaking to ensure everything is straight.

IMG_1803

Riveted the tip ribs to the spars. Riveted the hinge reinforcement plates and nut plates to the spars.

 

IMG_1805

Clecoed and riveted the counterweight skins to the tip ribs.

IMG_1807

Riveted the elevator horns to the spars.

IMG_1808

Bruins vs. Blackhawks in the winter classic on tv… taking a break to watch a little hockey.

Today’s Time (hours): 2.5
Empennage Time (hours): 106.0
Total Time (hours): 106.0

 

More Work on Elevators

Jared Solomon and Wes Greer stopped by today and helped move the elevators along. I really appreciate having experienced builders helping me out.  Things went really fast and their advice is incredibly valuable. Had lot’s of fun building together, too. Thanks guys!

Today we final drilled the tip ribs to one another and to the counterweight skins. We cut the foam trailing edge and trim tab ribs. We trimmed and deburred the trim tab skins. We trimmed the right elevator aft spar. We bent the closeout tabs on the left elevator skin. We fit and drilled the trim tab hinge. We clecoed everything together and fit/trimmed the elevator trailing edges.

IMG_1759

Jared and Wes went home and I continued building. Not even ten minutes unsupervised and I screwed up! I misunderstood the interface between the trailing edge extrusion and the elevator wing tip. I removed way too much material from the trailing edge. I didn’t realize that the wing tip would be trimmed and butt up against the trailing edge. Had I read forward to the “Empennage Fairings” section, I would have understood how this went together. Oh well… Ordered a new trailing edge from Van’s.

IMG_1765

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Empennage Time (hours): 85.0
Total Time (hours): 85.0

 

Primed and Assembled Horizontal Stabilizer

Scuffed and primed the skins, ribs, stringers and center web.

IMG_1728

IMG_1729

Riveted together the inboard ribs, web, and stringers.

IMG_1732

Clecoed and riveted the ribs to the front spar

IMG_1735

Clecoed and riveted four nose ribs to the skins. Special thanks to Jared Solomon for lending me his HS cradles. Also for the awesome flight flight yesterday in his RV-14. Makes me want to build faster.

IMG_1736

IMG_1737

Clecoed the forward spar and associated substructure to the skins. Ready for final riveting. Should have the HS buttoned up tomorrow!

IMG_1740

IMG_1741

A very satisfying day of progress!

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Empennage Time (hours): 69.0
Total Time (hours): 69.0

 

Countersunk spar flanges and Stringers and dimpled skins

Machine countersunk the flanges of both spars.

IMG_1719

Used the blunted soldering iron to remove the blue plastic from the rivet lines. Then used a file and sand paper to clean up the edges. They were pretty rough.

IMG_1721

Used the trusty DRDT-2 to dimple the skins. Good upper body workout. Lots of holes!

IMG_1723

Tada…

IMG_1724

Ribs, stringers, and skins all ready for scuff and prime.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 64.0
Total Time (hours): 64.0

 

Forward Spar Assembly Complete

Riveted the doubler and spar caps to the forward spar.

IMG_1711

IMG_1712

IMG_1713

I received the torque wrench I ordered from Amazon and torqued the nuts securing the inboard hinge bracket to the rear spar.

IMG_1714

Both forward and rear spar assemblies completed. On to the ribs…

IMG_1715

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Empennage Time (hours): 58.0
Total Time (hours): 58.0

 

Rear spar assembly complete

Scuffed the forward spar and primed all of the forward and rear spar parts.

IMG_1702

Riveted the front spar doubler. Used the squeezer for most of these.

IMG_1704

Riveted all of the hinge brackets. Used the gun for these. My riveting skills have improved markedly. I haven’t had to drill any rivets since working on the rudder.

I bolted the inboard hinge bracket to the spar per the plans and realized I don’t have an in/lb torque wrench. So I ordered one from Amazon along with some tamperproof marker paint so I can keep track of which nuts have been torqued and easily inspect them later.

IMG_1705

Off to FLL for work for the next few days. So no further progress expected until later in the week.

Today’s Time (hours): 2.5
Empennage Time (hours): 56.0
Total Time (hours): 56.0