Cut, deburred, and scuffed mid fuse parts

Peeled the blue vinyl from all the parts.

img_3221

 

Cut the parts that needed to be separated on the band saw.

 

Deburred all the edges and scuffed the parts.

img_3224

 

Ready for priming. Plans call for reaming several off the holes to .311″. I didn’t have a .311 reamer so ordered that from McMaster. Should have it by next weekend’s build session.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 3.0
Total Time (hours): 454.5

 

Started riveting the bottom skins

The rest of my avionics order showed up this morning. I also received the GMU 22 mounting kit from Van’s. Apparently they don’t make one for the GMU 11 (which is what I bought). So I took a chance and ordered the one for the GMU 22 thinking I could cannibalize it and create something for the GMU 11. As it turns out, all I needed to do was to match drill four holes to the base of the GMU 11. So I drilled the holes, cut the top half of the mount per the plans, deburred and primed everything, riveted it together, and screwed on the GMU 11. Bayum!

img_3115

 

Remy helped me rivet the inboard bottom skin to the right wing. It was challenging to reach the rivets along the aft spar. Remy and I took turns bucking and shooting. Nonetheless, tomorrow will definitely be an Advil day.  I clecoed the outboard skin in place. That can be tomorrow’s challenge.

img_3117

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 270.0
Total Time (hours): 422.0

 

Pitot mast fit and all remaining wing parts prepped for primer and assembly

Cut, deburred, dimpled, and scuffed all the remaining wing parts to prep for priming. This included the aileron trim, the aileron push tubes, the inspection covers, and the wing tip ribs.

Fabricated a bracket to secure the pitot mounting bracket to the wing rib.Drilled the holes in the mounting bracket to match the holes in the rib. Then match drilled the new rib bracket to the mounting bracket and the rib. Match drilled everything to the skin and cut out the hole for the pitot mast using 1/2″ drill, Dremel, files, and sand paper. Pleased with how everything came out. Should be nice and secure once everything is riveted together.

 

Dimpled and scuffed the skins. Everything is ready for primer and assembly.

 

Ordered avionics and hoping to get the A/P servo, pitot tube, and magnetometer installed before closing up the wings. I also ordered tubing for the AOA line and wire for the pitot heat. Hopefully I’ll have everything and be able to get the wings buttoned up next week.

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 239.0
Total Time (hours): 391.0

 

Started work on the bottom skins

After the mess of the fuel tanks, I took the time to clean up the shop, replace the paper on the bench tops, and vacuum the floor.

img_2892

 

Fabricated the flap gap doublers. Dimpled the flap and aileron gap fairings. Peeled and scuffed the forward facing side of the fairings.

 

Clecoed the ADAHRS mount together and match drilled to the j-channel stiffener. Disassembled, dimpled, and prepped all the parts. Countersunk and fluted the retainers.

 

Clecoed the inboard bottom skins to the wing assemblies. Match drilled the nut plate holes to the inboard ribs. Final drilled and deburred all the #19 holes in all the bottom skins.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 233.0
Total Time (hours): 385.0

 

A little drilling, a little dimpling, a little riveting.

Reassembled the nose skin and match drilled the remaining #40 holes form the skin into the the counterbalance tubes. Then upsized them to #30.

img_2761

 

Dimpled the skins for the stiffeners and ribs.

img_2762

Started back riveting the stiffeners to the skins. After riveting the first one I realized that I neglected to trim them to the correct length. It was obvious that they would interfere with the trailing edge extrusion. I’m guessing that the stiffeners are another shared part with the RV-10 thus requiring shortening for the RV-14.

I was able to trim the one I riveted with a cutoff wheel on the Dremel by sliding a thin piece of scrap aluminum under the stiffener to protect the skin. I deburred it with sandpaper. No harm No foul. I trimmed the rest on the bandsaw and deburred on the ScotchBrite wheel.

Had to quit to go watch the Bruins in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 177.0
Total Time (hours): 389.0