Work resumes on the canopy

Put the canopy back on the frame and clecoed in place. Peeled back the protective plastic on the forward edge of the canopy. Used a caliper to scribe a line for the aft of the fairing. Laid two layers of electrical tape along the line and put some masking tap above it to make sure the canopy is protected as I work on the fairing. I filed the outboard edge of the canopy to reduce the profile and make for a thinner fairing.

 

Fabricated a little 2″ straight edge tool and used it to scribe the forward fairing line into the top skin of the canopy frame. I cut out the side templates and used a sharpie to trace the forward outboard fairing line. It didn’t quite match up with the forward line I had scribed. So I split the difference and made a nice curve when I masked off the line with the electrical tape.

 

Scuffed the scrap out of the masked off skin and canopy with 60 grit sand paper. Went back and did another pass after these pics. It’s scuffed!

 

Arts and crafts time! I cut out the paper templates for the fiberglass cloth.

img_4329

 

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Finish Kit (hours): 62.0
Total Time (hours): 792.0

 

 

Painted canopy and seat backs

Masked off the top of the skin and the outboard sides of the side rails. Painted two coats on the the aft canopy frame and the inboard sides of the side rails. Tomorrow night I’ll flip it over and paint the bottom after everything dries.

 

Scuffed the seat backs and braces. Wiped everything down with solvent and then with a tack rag. Painted tow coats on the forward side. I’ll get the aft side tomorrow night after everything is dry.

 

Fabricated the hinge pins for the seat backs and braces.

img_4294

 

Are we having fun yet?

img_4293

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Finish Kit (hours): 56.0
Total Time (hours): 786.0

 

 

Cut, deburred, scuffed, and primed the canopy frame parts.

Cut all the parts that needed parting.

 

Fabricated the canopy handles from aluminum angle.

img_4181

 

Deburred and scuffed all the parts.

img_4184

 

Primed everything.

 

Started assembling the canopy frame. Dimpled and rivered the hinge intercostals. Dimpled the skin. Fluted and fit the substructure. Started riveting the substructure together.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Finish Kit (hours): 26.5
Total Time (hours): 756.5

 

 

Finished rear window and started on Canopy Latch

I used the edge roller to break the edge of the top and side skins where they meet the rear window. I final drilled the skins #27 and dimpled the holes for #6 screws. The squeezer wouldn’t fit into the space between the top skin and the roll bar brace. After a fair amount of ass-scratching I tried using a #6 screw and a K1000-06 nut plate to press the dimple into the center hole. It worked well.

I decided to wait until later to actually install the window. This will enable better access to the fuselage and keep me from beating up the window while I’m working on the rest of the stuff. But everything’s done and all I have to do is add some sealant and screw it in. For sealant I’ve decided to try Lexel. It’s a clear solvent based sealant that is safe for acrylic. Other builders have reported good success with it.

 

I separated, deburred, and painted the stiffener angles. I’ll rivet these in place as soon as the paint dries.

 

I picked and inspected all of the parts for the rest of the canopy.

img_4151

 

I peeled all of the parts for the canopy latch mechanism. I separated the peices that needed parting. I deburred and scuffer all the parts. Then painted everything to match the interior.

 

I test fit the canopy latch pins in the bushings that I installed in the roll bar. I realized that I neglected to mask of the bushings when I painted the roll bar and got some paint in there. I wrapped some sand paper around a brass drift and used it to clear the paint. Everything fits fine now.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Finish Kit (hours): 18.0
Total Time (hours): 748.0

 

 

Began work on Roll Over Structure (Section 37)

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 7.22.26 PM

 

Picked, inspected, and peeled all the parts. Cut apart the pieces that needed to be separated on the band saw. Deburred and scuffed all the parts.

img_3938

 

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 205.0
Total Time (hours): 659.5

 

Began work on rudder and brake systems (Section 33)

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 8.44.59 PM

 

My sister and brother-in-law were in town for some turkey. So I enlisted John to help with prepping and painting all the rudder pedal parts. I decided to flat black everything. I’m going to go with some grip tape on the face of the brake pedals. We got all the parts cut, deburred and scuffed. Then painted with Rustoleum Painter’s Touch rattle-can.

 

We’ll let the paint cure tonight. Then we can assemble tomorrow and shoot another coat to cover the rivets.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 160.0
Total Time (hours): 614.5

Work continues on baggage area

Fabricated the seat back hinges and match drilled to the floor skins.

img_3776

 

Deburred, Scuffed, and primed all of the parts.

img_3777

 

Dimpled the floor skins and riveted the nut plates in place.

 

Installed snap bushing and routed the rudder cables, static line, and ELT wire.

img_3780

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 149.0
Total Time (hours): 603.5

Began work on Aft Fuselage Attachment (section 30)

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 10.28.58 PM

This section only has a few parts and I was setting up to prime all the parts for section 29 so figured i’d get these while I was at it. Picked and inspected the parts. Cut apart the ones that needed to be separated on the band saw. Deburred all the edges. Scuffed and primed everything.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 84.0
Total Time (hours): 538.5