Painted canopy and seat backs

Masked off the top of the skin and the outboard sides of the side rails. Painted two coats on the the aft canopy frame and the inboard sides of the side rails. Tomorrow night I’ll flip it over and paint the bottom after everything dries.

 

Scuffed the seat backs and braces. Wiped everything down with solvent and then with a tack rag. Painted tow coats on the forward side. I’ll get the aft side tomorrow night after everything is dry.

 

Fabricated the hinge pins for the seat backs and braces.

img_4294

 

Are we having fun yet?

img_4293

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Finish Kit (hours): 56.0
Total Time (hours): 786.0

 

 

Painted the glare shield

I traced the forward edge of the canopy onto the skin with a sharpie. Removed the canopy from the frame and set aside in a safe spot. Removed the frame from the fuselage. Masked off the glare shield, scuffed it, and wiped it down with solvent and a tack cloth. Sprayed it with two coats of Rustoleum Painters Touch flat black.

 

Next, I’ll mask off the skin and spray the rest of the frame with dark gray to match the rest of the interior.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Finish Kit (hours): 47.0
Total Time (hours): 777.0

 

 

Finished brake pedals and painted interior

Put a final coat of paint on the rudder and brake pedals. I covered the front of the brake pedals with grip tape that I bought from Amazon.

 

I finally picked a color! I went with Rustoleum Painter’s Touch Dark Gray Gloss. Changed my mind on the color at least five times. I even bought the paint for what turned out to be the runner up. Hopefully I can return it. The paint came out okay. I think I shot it a bit too heavy and got a pretty good orange peel going. But it’s good enough. Most of it will be covered with carpet. I’m happy with the result.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 165.0
Total Time (hours): 619.5