Installed landing lights and lenses

Cut the plexiglass lens to 3/4″ larger than the opening in the wing using the Dremel with a diamond dust blade. Cut like buttah.

img_2618

Covered the lens with tape to protect it. Put in in place within the wing and traced the opening onto the tape. I lined up the backing places and marked the tape with the finished cut lines. I cut to final size with the Dremel and sanded the edges smooth with a sanding drum in the drill press.

img_2619

Set the lens into place and used the tape “leash” i made on the front of the lens to pull it tight against the inside of the skin. Drilled and clecoed all th holes with a #30 plexi bit.

img_2620

Remove the lens from the wing and removed the tape. I countersunk the holes with 100 degree zero-flute countersink bit in the electric drill. I deburred the back side of the holes with a single turn of the same bit.

img_2621

I used VHB double stick tape to secure the backing plates to the lens.

img_2622

I installed the landing light onto the bracket that I had riveted into the wing in an earlier step.

img_2624

I secured the lens in place with #6 stainless screws.

img_2627

And then repeated the whole process for the right wing.

img_2628

This completes section 17–Outboard leading edges!

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 137.0
Total Time (hours): 348.0

 

 

Finished riveting the outboard leading edge to the left wing

Finished riveting the outboard leading edge to the left wing with a little help from Remy.

img_2578

I set the left wing into the cradle and used the pneumatic stapler to attach the carpet suspending the outboard edge.

img_2581

And that completes cradle construction.

img_2580

Fluted and straightened the flanges of the tank ribs.

img_2582

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 123.0
Total Time (hours): 334.0

 

Started riveting the outboard leading edge to left wing

Clecoed the outboard leading edge assembly to the left wing assembly.

img_2574

Blind riveted the leading edge ribs to the main spar.

img_2575

I set the the wing upright on the workbench and riveted the leading edge skin to the lower flange of the main spar.

I need a bucking partner to get the upper flange. Hopefully Remy will be available tomorrow evening.

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 122.0
Total Time (hours): 333.0

 

Built wing cradle

Built wing cradles. Used (6) 10′ 2×4’s, (2) 4′ 2×2’s, glue, 3″ construction screws, and 2 strips of carpet 16″ wide by about 5 feet long.

Picked up those nice locking casters from Amazon… 4 Pack Caster Wheels Swivel Plate Stem Brake Casters On Red Polyurethane Wheels (4 inch with brake)  I bought two sets. Might try putting the other set on one of the work benches. Maybe get some more for the other benches if I like it.

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 120.0
Total Time (hours): 331.0

 

Riveted outboard leading edge to right wing

Completed the right outboard leading edge by riveting the landing light bracket and J channel stiffener in place.

img_2558

Clecoed the outboard leading edge to the right wing.

img_2559

 

Blind riveted the leading edge ribs to the main spar. I couldn’t get the rivet puller square to the river so I fabricated a wedge to safely pull the rivets at an angle. Thanks to Jared for the reminder on this technique. I had originally read about it in section 5 but had forgotten. I ended up using a piece of left over trailing edge wedge. I cut of a small section about half an inch long and drilled a hole in it to accommodate the tail of the blind rivet.

img_2562

Riveted the leading edge skin to the bottom flange of the main spar.

img_2565

Riveted the leading edge skin to the top flange of the main spar. Remy bucked for me.

img_2567

I made a home depot run and picked up a bunch to 2×4’s to construct a wing cradle.

I messed up and stripped a couple of screws that I used to attach the inspection plate to the left leading edge. Need to order a screw extractor.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 116.0
Total Time (hours): 327.0

 

Riveted right outboard leading edge skins to ribs

Riveted right outboard leading edge skins to ribs with some help from Remy.

img_2554

Placed the leading edge back into the cradle and clecoed the J channel stiffener and the landing light bracket in place. I’ll rivet those in place tomorrow. It was getting late.

img_2555

Sophie deburred the edges of all the tank ribs for me while I was in Toronto this week.

img_2556

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 113.0
Total Time (hours): 324.0

Left outboard leading edge complete.

Finished riveting the skin to the ribs of the left outboard leading edge. Had to lie it flat and get Remy to buck the last three rows on the top side. Just couldn’t reach.

img_2536

 

Riveted the landing light mounting bracket in place.

img_2537

Riveted the J channel stiffener to the top of the skin.

img_2538

Left outboard leading edge complete.

img_2539

Clecoed the ribs into the right outboard leading edge skin and drilled the 3/8″ hole for the tie-down eye bolt.

 

Fabricated the spacers for the landing light brackets. Painted the spacers and mounting screws. Riveted the nut plates into the brackets and shot another coat of paint over the rivets. Assembled the landing lights into the brackets.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 111.0
Total Time (hours): 322.0