Attach bottom rudder fairing

Last night I put a layer of glass over the foam in the VS tip.

img_2127

This morning, I trimmed and sanded the edges.

img_2128

I filled with a thick mixture of glass micro bubbles and epoxy resin.

img_2130

I set aside the VS tip to cure and got started attaching the bottom rudder fairing. I measured and marked the fairing and match drilled #40 and clecoed in place.

img_2131

I used a nut plate, a #6 screw and a rivet as a drill jig.

img_2132

I dimpled all the nut plate attach holes with the squeezer. I needed the close quarters dimple dies for the aft-most holes.

img_2133

I dimpled the nut plates.

img_2134

I machine countersunk the rudder horn bracket. It’s too thick to dimple.

img_2135

I riveted the nut plates in place. I made the aft-most hole too close to the aft edge of the attach strip. So I cut one ear off of the nut plate.

img_2136

I machine countersunk the fiberglass for #6 screws.

img_2137

Everything went together just fine.

img_2138

I disassembled and started work on the doubler for the tail light. I centered and taped it in place. I drilled the #30 holes and clecoed.  I ordered a #43 drill and a 4 40 tap from amazon for the other two holes.

img_2141

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 209.5
Total Time (hours): 209.5

 

Attached top rudder tip

I was away in south Florida all last week for work. Good trip but glad to get back in the shop today.

I final-fit the top tip to the rudder with some sand paper. I match drilled #40 all of the holes.

img_2111

I final drilled the holes to #30.

img_2112

I machine countersunk the holes in the tip to fit the dimples in the skin.

img_2113

I dimpled the holes in the skin.

img_2114

I attached the tip to the rudder with the pneumatic pop rivet gun.

img_2115

Et viola…

img_2117

I attached the rudder to the vertical stabilizer on the workbench. I fit the VS tip with sandpaper and match drilled all the holes #40.

img_2118

I used the band saw to cut some foam to back the fiberglass closeout. I test fit the assembly to the VS and used sand paper to gradually reduce the size of the foam until I got an interference fit.

img_2121

I mixed up some epoxy resin with glass micro bubbles to . nice thick paste that wouldn’t run.

img_2123

…and used it to glue the foam into place.

img_2125

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Empennage Time (hours): 206.5
Total Time (hours): 206.5