Work on cowl continues

Match drilled the top and bottom cowls to the cowl hinges.

 

I disassembled the cowls, deburred all the holes in all the hinges. I coated the inside of both cowl halves with thin coating of resin to seal it all up.

img_4851

 

Riveted all the hinges to the cowl halves

 

Trimmed and sanded the fiberglass inlet ramps and fit them to the top cowl. They gat match drilled to the cowl core just deep enough to hold a cleco to clamp it in place for bonding with epoxy and flox. I didn’t get any pics of the bonding process and I put it back on the fuse to cure before I could get a shot of the finished product.

 

I did decide to get the oil door done once the epoxy set up sufficiently. It was a pretty straightforward process.

 

 

I reinstalled the spinner. She’s coming along!

img_4949-1

 

Just have to drill the attachment holes on the bottom of the cowl and blend in the inlet ramps and the cowl will be complete.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 14.0
Finish kit (hours): 267.0
Total Time (hours): 1001.0

Completed the prop and spinner

Went flying with Jared, Wes, and Scott. Got some nice pics of Wes’s RV-7A in fingertip formation on the way to KLZU for dinner Thursday evening.

img_4758

 

Jared came over on Friday and helped me hang the prop. Leveraged my specialization in brute force and stupidity to turn a one hour job into a five hour epic involving a three hour journey to and from Aircraft Spruce for a new prop wrench. All’s well that ends well.

img_4776

 

Safety-wired  the prop mounting bolts.

img_4780

 

Mounted and drilled the spinner, spinner plate and forward bulkhead. Used the neodymium magnets and plastic washers that came with the kit to locate the holes in the forward bulkhead.

 

Installed nutplates into the bulkhead and re-mounted it. Torqued and safety-wired the bolts.

 

Fabricated and installed the gap fillers. Clamped a couple of wooden boards to the prop blade as a lever to rotate the blades (change their pitch) in order to check the clearance of the spinner and gap filler. I used a sanding drum in an electric drill to make minor adjustments to the spinner and gap fillers. Then riveted the gap filler to the spinner plate.

 

Reinstalled the spinner.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 10.0
Finish kit (hours): 241.0
Total Time (hours): 975.0