Completed the prop and spinner

Went flying with Jared, Wes, and Scott. Got some nice pics of Wes’s RV-7A in fingertip formation on the way to KLZU for dinner Thursday evening.

img_4758

 

Jared came over on Friday and helped me hang the prop. Leveraged my specialization in brute force and stupidity to turn a one hour job into a five hour epic involving a three hour journey to and from Aircraft Spruce for a new prop wrench. All’s well that ends well.

img_4776

 

Safety-wired  the prop mounting bolts.

img_4780

 

Mounted and drilled the spinner, spinner plate and forward bulkhead. Used the neodymium magnets and plastic washers that came with the kit to locate the holes in the forward bulkhead.

 

Installed nutplates into the bulkhead and re-mounted it. Torqued and safety-wired the bolts.

 

Fabricated and installed the gap fillers. Clamped a couple of wooden boards to the prop blade as a lever to rotate the blades (change their pitch) in order to check the clearance of the spinner and gap filler. I used a sanding drum in an electric drill to make minor adjustments to the spinner and gap fillers. Then riveted the gap filler to the spinner plate.

 

Reinstalled the spinner.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 10.0
Finish kit (hours): 241.0
Total Time (hours): 975.0

Prop prep, cabin heat, and sniffle tube

Uncrated the prop.

img_4732

Match drilled and clecoed the spinner plate doubler to the spinner plate.  Marked and cut out the center of the spinner plate with a skill saw. I cleaned it up with files, and a bit of emory cloth. I scuffed and primed the plate and the doubler then riveted them together. I attached the spinner plate assembly to the back of prop and re-torqued the bolts. The prop is now ready to be mounted to the engine.

Installed the heater muffs and associated SCAT hoses.

Fabricated and installed the sniffle tube.

img_4746

Today’s Time (hours): 8.0
Finish kit (hours): 231.0
Total Time (hours): 965.0

Work resumes on the tanks

I received the J-Channel that that I ordered from Van’s. I cut it to length with a cut-off wheel in the Dremel. Then cleaned up the edges on the Scotchbrite wheel. I measured and marked the centerline. Drilled the starter hole. Clecoed it in place and match drilled the rest of the holes, clecoing as I went.

 

I clecoed the baffle in place and machine countersunk the corresponding rivet holes in the tank skin.

 

I disassembled everything final drilled the #19 holes in the skin and then deburred them as well as the holes in the j-channel. I dimpled the J-channel with the pneumatic squeezer.

In other news… My propeller was delivered! It’ll be a while before I need it but ordered it at the same time as the engine to get a discount. The engine has a much longer lead time. Expecting it to show up mid October.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 142.0
Total Time (hours): 353.0