Began work on Firewall (Section 27)

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.35.54 PM

 

Picked and inspected all the firewall parts.

img_3391

Ordered my Finish and Firewall Forward kits. I also ordered the nose gear wheel (WHLNW511.25) and axle (WHLAXLE24) from Matco and deleted them from the finish kit. The wheel that comes with the kit apparently has the valve stem positioned in a way that there is insufficient clearance to put a cap on the Schraeder valve. Not a huge deal but figured I might as well. You can read Tim Olson’s blog for a writeup on why I’m replacing the stock setup. Jared tipped me off to this issue when we were at the Matco booth at AirVenture. So nice to have folks that have already tread the same ground!

The nice folks at Matco new what I was up to and reached out to ask if I was building an RV-14 and let me know that I would also need the spacer kit with the axle (WHLA24SPKIT).

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 46.0
Total Time (hours): 500.5

 

Began work on mid fuselage lower structure

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 3.09.39 PM

 

Picked and inspected all the parts. There are a lot of them.

 

Cut all the parts that needed to parted using hacksaw, bandsaw, and Dremel. Pro tip: peel the parts BEFORE you cut them. Otherwise there are a lot more of them to peel. Duh!

img_3288

 

Peeled all the parts.

img_3289

 

Ready for edge deburring.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 16.0
Total Time (hours): 470.5

 

Started work on the ailerons

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 1.00.08 PM

Picked and inspected all of the aileron parts. I peeled the protective blue vinyl off of all the parts. Cut apart all of the doublers, hinges, ribs, and stiffeners on the bandsaw. Deburred everything on the Scotchbrite wheel. Dimpled all the ribs and stiffeners with the pneumatic squeezer. Machine countersunk the hinges and doublers.

Everything is ready for scuffing and primer.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 171.0
Total Time (hours): 382.0

 

Begin work on Section 17: Outboard Leading Edge

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 8.15.00 PM

Picked all the parts for the leading edges. I cut the splice strips from the tank skins and trimmed the tabs from the cover plate doubler using snips.

img_2448-1

Cut out the leading edge cradles from the shipping crate top. Forgive the blur in the image… I photoshopped out my address from the top of the create.

 

24a83995-2937-4edc-9ffe-fe487ccdf94a

Cut the 2 x 4, glued it, and screwed it to the cradles. Clamped them to the workbench

img_2450

Off to Nashville for a conference tomorrow… Sophie said she’d prep (peel, edge deburr, and scuff) all the parts while I’m gone. So should be able to begin fabrication and fitting when I get back later in the week.

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 89.0
Total Time (hours): 300.0