Completed left wingtip–Almost

All the things I did to the right wing yesterday, I did to the left wing today.

 

 

Thought I was finally at th end of the wings… but ran into another snag. When I was countersinking the screw holes in the tip, I hit a thin spot in the fiberglass and the countersink caught and made a giant hole. So I made a fiberglass patch. I’ll fill in the other side with some micro once the patch sets up. Then I can install the final nut plate and be done with the wings!

 

 

Traveling this week. So I will begin work on the fuselage next weekend.

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Wing Time (hours): 298.0
Total Time (hours): 450.0

 

Completed Right Wingtip

Laid out the cut the left and right wing tips. I made over-ran on of the cuts by an inch or so on the left wing. So I did a little patch and fill with some fiberglass and micro and set it aside to cure. Then continued work on the right wingtip.

 

Cut and installed the nav light lens.

 

Installed the nav/strobe light. Used the template from the plans to drill the wingtip. Terminated the wires with Molex .062 pins. Unfortunately Vans provided a 4-pin molex housing instead of the 5-pin one that matches the wiring harness in the wing. <sigh> Now I get to pay $10 in shipping for two $1 moles housings. Mounted the bracket and installed the light. Tested it out with a 9-volt. That sucker is bright!

 

Fit the wingtip to the wing and set it in place with a ratchet strap. Match drilled the holes from the wing skins to the wingtip. Final drilled and dimpled the holes in the wing for #6 screws. Final drilled the screw holes in the wing tip and then used a nut plate, a screw, and a cleco as a drill jig to drill the nut plate attach holes. Machine countersunk the screw and rivet holes and riveted the nut plates in place.

 

Fit the wing tip rib to the wingtip. Laid out and match drilled rivet holes. Riveted the rib in place.

img_3202

 

Bam! Right wingtip done.

img_3201

 

Today’s Time (hours): 8.0
Wing Time (hours): 293.0
Total Time (hours): 445.0

 

Bottom Skins Complete

Received the new quick-disconnect terminals and replaced the bad ones. Then I final-installed the pitot tube into the wing and hooked up the plumbing and the electrical. Had to uninstall and reinstall the aileron push tube so that I could get my hands in there.

 

Reinstalled and torqued the aileron push tube in the right wing and installed the aileron trim. Getting those springs on is tricky. I also took the time to bend the actuator arm aft a bit. I just saw a picture on VAF where someone’s springs had almost worn completely through the push tube. Plenty of clearance now. No rubbing.

 

Riveted the nut plates for the right wing inboard fairings and inspections plates.

 

Almost done! Just the wingtips left to do.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 285.0
Total Time (hours): 437.0

 

Fitted the aileron trim and inboard bottom skins

I finished inventorying and stowing parts from the fuselage kit and avionics.

Crimped the pins onto the aileron trim wires, added a heat shrink tube, and inserted them into the molex connector.

img_2987

 

I centered the set the aileron trim using a 9-volt battery to drive the servo. I set the  assembly in place on the wing and set the aileron to the neutral position. Then I marked the point where the aileron trim arm rested over the  push tube. I remove the push tube and located the tabs 6 inches either side of the center mark. I match drilled and blind riveted them to the push tube. I attached the springs to the tabs.

 

I clecoed the inboard bottom skins in place on the wings. Ready to rivet.

img_2985

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 264.0
Total Time (hours): 416.0

 

Hooked up landing lights

The ground (black) wire attached to the C401J connector that came with the wiring harness in the kit was too short to route through the outboard rib and spar to the landing light. It was originally intended to be grounded to the rib. The instructions for the AeroLED landing lights recommends bonding it to the ground for the landing light which is routed back to the fuselage in order to prevent radio interference. So I removed the black wire along with its molex socket from the C401J molex connector. I ordered new sockets from Mouser and they arrived today. So I cut some lengths of 18 gauge wire and crimped the new sockets on.

img_2701

Inserted the pin back into the connector and routed the wire.

img_2702

Crimped on the the ring terminals.

img_2704

Ran the wires through the adel clamp and connected to the terminals on the landing light. Wire tied everything to keep it neat and tight.

img_2705

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 154.0
Total Time (hours): 365.0

 

Four out of Five Ain’t Bad

My new molex crimper arrived from amazon along with the new automatic wire stripper. Yay! New tools.

These Molex MicroFit  pins are teeny tiny. I managed to crimp four out of the five pins on to the wires from the trim servo correctly. Unfortunately there was only one extra pin provided and I already burned through that one on my first attempt. So I ordered a bunch of  extra molex pins and housings.

IMG_1856

Today’s Time (hours): 0.5
Empennage Time (hours): 126.0
Total Time (hours): 126.0