Finished brake pedals and painted interior

Put a final coat of paint on the rudder and brake pedals. I covered the front of the brake pedals with grip tape that I bought from Amazon.

 

I finally picked a color! I went with Rustoleum Painter’s Touch Dark Gray Gloss. Changed my mind on the color at least five times. I even bought the paint for what turned out to be the runner up. Hopefully I can return it. The paint came out okay. I think I shot it a bit too heavy and got a pretty good orange peel going. But it’s good enough. Most of it will be covered with carpet. I’m happy with the result.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 165.0
Total Time (hours): 619.5

Began work on rudder and brake systems (Section 33)

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 8.44.59 PM

 

My sister and brother-in-law were in town for some turkey. So I enlisted John to help with prepping and painting all the rudder pedal parts. I decided to flat black everything. I’m going to go with some grip tape on the face of the brake pedals. We got all the parts cut, deburred and scuffed. Then painted with Rustoleum Painter’s Touch rattle-can.

 

We’ll let the paint cure tonight. Then we can assemble tomorrow and shoot another coat to cover the rivets.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 160.0
Total Time (hours): 614.5

Left outboard leading edge complete.

Finished riveting the skin to the ribs of the left outboard leading edge. Had to lie it flat and get Remy to buck the last three rows on the top side. Just couldn’t reach.

img_2536

 

Riveted the landing light mounting bracket in place.

img_2537

Riveted the J channel stiffener to the top of the skin.

img_2538

Left outboard leading edge complete.

img_2539

Clecoed the ribs into the right outboard leading edge skin and drilled the 3/8″ hole for the tie-down eye bolt.

 

Fabricated the spacers for the landing light brackets. Painted the spacers and mounting screws. Riveted the nut plates into the brackets and shot another coat of paint over the rivets. Assembled the landing lights into the brackets.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 111.0
Total Time (hours): 322.0

Primed all the parts

Wiped everything down with acetone and shot everything with P60G2 Primer.

 

Painted the outboard bays flat black so it looks decent when seen through the landing light lenses. Kinda wish vans provided some sort of reflector or housing.

 

Dimpled a lot of nut plates. Riveted them to the splice strips, the inspection plate doubler. and the landing light backing plates, and the landing light brackets.

 

Clecoed the inspection port doubler to the skin and riveted in place.

 

Clecoed the ribs to the left skin and drilled the tie-down hole.

 

Made it about half way through riveting the left leading edge before calling it a night.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 107.0
Total Time (hours): 318.0