Back to work on the tanks

Got back from Toronto yesterday and my replacement tank skins had arrived. I cut the splice strips from the skins with the snips and filed/sanded the edges smooth. I clecoed the baffles into the skins and machine countersunk all the associated rivet holes.

I’ll get the dimpling done tomorrow and start assembly on Sunday.

In other news… Van’s charged my credit card for the balance due on the fuselage kit. Hopefully that means the kit is being crated and will ship in the next week or so. Now the pressure is on to finish the wings!

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 190.0
Total Time (hours): 342.0

 

Started work on the ailerons

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 1.00.08 PM

Picked and inspected all of the aileron parts. I peeled the protective blue vinyl off of all the parts. Cut apart all of the doublers, hinges, ribs, and stiffeners on the bandsaw. Deburred everything on the Scotchbrite wheel. Dimpled all the ribs and stiffeners with the pneumatic squeezer. Machine countersunk the hinges and doublers.

Everything is ready for scuffing and primer.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 171.0
Total Time (hours): 382.0

 

Dimpled top side skins and aft deck

Dimpled the top side skins. I used the squeezer for most of the holes and the DRDT-2 for the ones the squeezer couldn’t reach.

IMG_1998-1

I clecoed the side skin on. And I actually remembered to peel the rivet lines this time.

IMG_1995-1

I dimpled the F-01409 frame.

IMG_1996-1

And the aft deck.

IMG_1997-1

I clecoed the aft deck, F-01409 frame in place along with the Horizontal Stab Attach Bar Support Angle and deck angle. I clamped the attach bar to the support angle and match drilled. I also match drilled the deck angle to the aft bulkhead.

IMG_1999

I dimpled the cover plates for #6 screws as well. Then I realized for the first time that the cover plates are not symmetrical. <moan> And of course one is now dimpled the wrong way and primed on the wrong side. I went to order a new one from Van’s web site only to find that F-14112 does not exist in their parts inventory and it’s an hour after closing time. Oh well. I’ll call the tomorrow. No big rush given that I’m almost out of parts and my wing kit isn’t scheduled to ship for more than a month.

IMG_2002

Today’s Time (hours): 2.5
Empennage Time (hours): 177.0
Total Time (hours): 177.0

 

Top skin assembly

Broke the edges of the top skin with the edge roller. Peeled the vinyl from the rivet lines and dimpled the top skin on the DRDT-2.

IMG_1990

Dimpled the top rib with the squeezer.

IMG_1991

Dimpled the top skin doubler with the squeezer.

IMG_1992

Dimpled the stiffener and back riveted it to the skin. Back riveted the doubler and riveted the rib with the gun and bucking bar.

IMG_1993

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Empennage Time (hours): 174.5
Total Time (hours): 174.5

 

Started riveting the side skins

Finished peeling the vinyl from the right side.

IMG_1973

 

Remy helped my shoot some rivets so we got the aft bottom skin riveted to the bulkheads.

IMG_1975

Then since I had his help we riveted the side skin to the bottom skin. I figured we’d start here while I had his help as I cannot reach those by myself. Unfortunately I read the note in the plans that said to start on the flats and work around the curve after we riveted this. I think If i just work around the curve and work my way up the side it will be fine. I’ll do the other side in the correct order.

IMG_1977

All in all good progress today.

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Empennage Time (hours): 160.0
Total Time (hours): 160.0

 

Slow night in the shop tonight

I used the soldering iron to peel the vinyl from the rivet lines of the skins that I should have done before I clecoed the skin to the substructure. I removed a section of clecos and stripped the vinyl, replaced the clecos, and moved to the next section. Got through one side. I’ll get the other side tomorrow.

IMG_1971

Today’s Time (hours): 0.5
Empennage Time (hours): 158.0
Total Time (hours): 158.0

 

Primed Tail Cone Parts

I peeled the blue vinyl from the j channel that’s formed into the edges of the bottom skin so that I could scuff and prime those along with the inside of the skin.

IMG_1923

First batch of four ready to shoot.

IMG_1924

Second batch was the rest of the bulkheads and bell crank ribs (not pictured) and the third batch included the longerons and stiffeners. The last batch was the bottom skin.

IMG_1925

Et viola!

IMG_1926

Tomorrow I’ll begin assembling the tail cone. Once I get the substructure assembled and riveted to the bottom skin, I’ll have one more big scuff and prime session for the skins and the few remaining substructure components.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 147.0
Total Time (hours): 147.0