Progress continues on wiring

I’ve neglected to post over the past week. Been a busy week at work. I have made some good progress though.

I vinyl-wrapped the fuse block panel and screwed the fuse block into it. I made a bus bar from a strip of copper to tie together the upper and lower buses of the fuse block.

 

I drilled some system holes through the left seat ribs, installed snap bushings, and ran the pitot and AOA lines from the wing root to the panel.

 

Drilled a couple of system holes in the lower sub-panel. Routed the the wires for the battery backup. Terminated the grounds for the the IBBS and the IBBS master switch.

 

Made up the connectors for the GTX 45R transponder and the GTN 625 GPS. I also started on the GTR 200B COM radio but didn’t get a picture.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Finish Kit (hours): 112.0
Total Time (hours): 842.0

 

Began wiring the panel

I’ve spent quite a bit of time researching and documenting a plan to make the wiring easy. I complied a list of wiring nodes in a spreadsheet that I can use as a checklist to work my way through the project. You can see my work here… Wiring Plan

Didn’t actually wire anything today but rather did a lot of the prep work. I fabricated a center panel that will hold the fuse block in the center pedestal. I purchased the power panel option from Van’s which included the sheet metal for the center console. I purchased the 32 position Busman fuse block from Waytek.

 

Prepped everything up and painted it to match the interior.

img_4480

 

Removed all of the avionics and the panels. I probably could have left the stuff mounted to the sub panel and left the panels in place. But when I had mounted everything with black oxide steel screws and subsequently learned that they would rust over time. So I purchased black oxide stainless replacements. This was the most opportune time to replace them all.

 

I installed a ground block being careful to remove all the paint and scuff up the sub-panel to ensure a good electrical connection. I re-mounted the backup battery, the GAD 27, GAD 29, and GEA 24 to the sub panel.

 

I drilled a couple of new wire holes through the bottom of the stand-offs and installed snap bushings. The original holes interfered with the GTX and the switches in the bottom of the middle panel.

img_4481

 

Today’s Time (hours): 8.0
Finish Kit (hours): 106.0
Total Time (hours): 836.0

 

Cut the co-pilot-side panel

Same drill as the pilot side…  Lay everything out, drill pilot holes, final drill with step drill, cut with Dremel, deburr, machine countersink, paint, rivet, and bam! We have a panel.

 

Mounted the GDU and the ELT switches to the panel and mounted the panel in the plane.

img_4046

 

Next, I’m going to cover the panel in flat black vinyl. I’m also thinking about adding a carbon monoxide detector beneath the ELT buttons.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Options and Miscellanea (hours): 25.0
Total Time (hours): 708.0

 

Started assembling the lower skins and muffler shroud.

Dimpled the bottom skins and riveted the com antenna doublers and skin stiffeners to them. I’m only installing a single com radio so I only drilled out the right side skin for the antenna. The left side I installed some rivets to fill the starter holes. I did install the left side antenna doubler in case i want to add another radio later. I can just drill out the rivets and upsize the holes to install another antenna.

 

Dimpled the muffler shroud parts. Riveted the doublers and muffler hanger brackets to the shroud sides. Riveted the nut plates to the fuel pump brackets and then riveted the brackets to the shroud ramp.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 65.0
Total Time (hours): 519.5

 

Assembly continues

Fluted the outboard seat and baggage ribs to mach the curve of the bottom skin. Riveted nut plates to the seat ribs.

 

Bolted and riveted the seat ribs to the bulkhead assembly.

 

img_3328

 

Riveted the seatbelt lugs and routing angles to the baggage ribs.

 

Riveted the aft bulkhead to the seat rib assembly. Drilled and riveted the doubler to the bulkhead. Fabricated and riveted together the idler bearing assembly and riveted to the bulkhead.

 

Clecoed the bottom skins together and match drilled some holes. Cut the landing gear leg openings in the forward skins. Machine countersunk the doublers and dimpled the skin stiffeners. Drilled the 9/16″ hole in the skin with a step drill. This hole will be used to mount the transponder antenna.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 5.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 31.0
Total Time (hours): 485.5

 

Started work on fuel tanks

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 9.57.47 PM

I ordered plexi bits and a zero flute countersink so that I can fabricate the landing light lenses. While I’m waiting for those to show up, I started on the tanks.

Fluted and straightened the tank ribs yesterday. Final drilled all the #40 and #30 holes in all the ribs tonight.

Located and drilled the 3/4″ hole specified in the plans.

img_2583

Match drilled the rivet holes from the finger strainer flange in the inboard ribs.

img_2584

Dimpled all the holes in the top and bottom flanges of all the ribs.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 125.0
Total Time (hours): 336.0

 

Final drilled ribs to spars and drilled systems holes.

Spent a lot of time finishing the deburring of all the holes in the flanges and finishing dimpling the lower flanges of the ribs.

Clecoed the ribs to the spars and final drilled all the holes in the forward flanges.

img_2273

Disassembled everything  and deburred the rest of the holes.

Measured, marked, and drilled the systems holes with the step drill.

Deburred all the the systems holes.

Ready to prime and assemble ribs.

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 45.5
Total Time (hours): 256.5