Finished the forward and aft center section bulkheads

Riveted the cover ribs to the forward center section bulkhead. Added the AN3 bolts, nuts, and washers and torqued them down.

 

Secured the bearing bracket braces to the bearing brackets with screws, washers, and nuts. The riveted them to the bulkhead and opposing ribs.

 

Reamed the .375 and .311 holes in the center section bulkheads.

img_3285

 

The parts I ordered from vans should be here Tuesday. Then I can finish out this section.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 13.0
Total Time (hours): 467.5

 

Finished attaching elevators. Started attaching horizontal stabilizer

Fabricated a spacer block to act as a drill guide and clamped it between the horns. Double checked that the elevators were still clamped in the trailing position. Match drilled the left horn to the right horn.

img_2039

Checked to make sure everything was aligned and nothing was binding. All was good. Nice and smooth through the whole range.

img_2042

Positioned the horizontal stabilizer on the aft fuselage and bolted the forward spar to the attach bars. I clecoed the middle holes on the aft spar to the aft attach bars. I drilled the two top holes and installed bolts.

img_2043

Unfortunately I could not get the drill squared up to the spar for the lower holes because of interference with the aft bulkhead. I’ll have to head off to home depot to get a long 1/4″ drill.

img_2044

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Empennage Time (hours): 190.5
Total Time (hours): 190.5

 

Started attachment of elevators to horizontal stabilizer

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 10.08.19 AM

Screwed the rod end bearings into the elevator forward spar.

img_2028

Fitting the right side was very tight. I’m sure theres a proper tool to do this but I ended up using a cresent wrench to twist the bearings. There was no way I could do it by hand.

img_2027

On the left side I couldn’t even get the threads to engage. On close inspection I discovered that the nut plates were a hair off center from the hole in the spar and reinforcement plate.  I enlarged the hole by a 16th being careful not to damage the nut plate. Then I  was able to get them screwed in with the cresent wrench. I screwed them in to the measurement called out in the plans.

57083714467__846fca30-fec6-4337-930e-493c67b1bf7e

I temporarily attached the left elevator to the horizontal stabilizer. I checked the clearance of the forward edge at the maximal up and down deflections. I used a digital level to fin the maximal deflection points. I had remove the elevator and backed the rod end bearings out three turns to get the necessary clearance.

img_2030

I used a clamp to lightly hold the elevator in the trailing position to locate the pivot hole in the elevator horn.

img_2031

I made a spacing block as called for in the plans and clamped it in place. I then honed down the drill bushing to get a snug fit in the bearing and used it to drill a #30 hole in the elevator.

img_2032

img_2033

I enlarged the hole hole to 1/4″ with a step drill and deburred the hole. Then repeated this whole process on the right elevator.

img_2034

I reattached both elevators to the horizontal stabilizer. I used the appropriate hardware to make up the center hinge. It was extremely challenging getting the washers between the horns and the edges of the bearing. I ended up taping the washers to a small piece of scrap aluminum and using it to shoehorn the washers in place. Then I lightly clamped both elevators into the trailing position.

img_2035

I measured and marked the location for the control attach hole on the right elevator and drilled a #40 hole and final drilled it to #12.

img_2036

Tomorrow I’ll make a guide block and match drill the hole to the other horn.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 189.0
Total Time (hours): 189.0