Primed everything and started assembly

 

Wiped everything down with acetone and then shot primer. I did the spars first, then the ribs in two batches, and finally all the other small parts.

 

 

Riveted the flap hinges and hinge ribs to the ribs. I started using the squeezer but it couldn’t reach most of the rivets so just switched to the gun and shot the rest of them.

 

 

Assembled and riveted the the torque tube brackets and riveted them to the inboard ribs.

 

 

Clecoed the ribs to the spars and reinstalled the AN3 hardware and torqued everything down. I also installed the snap bushing in the systems holes in all the ribs. Many of them were a bit loose. I’ll have to give some thought on how I want to resolve this.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 52.5
Total Time (hours): 263.5

 

Final drilled ribs to spars and drilled systems holes.

Spent a lot of time finishing the deburring of all the holes in the flanges and finishing dimpling the lower flanges of the ribs.

Clecoed the ribs to the spars and final drilled all the holes in the forward flanges.

img_2273

Disassembled everything  and deburred the rest of the holes.

Measured, marked, and drilled the systems holes with the step drill.

Deburred all the the systems holes.

Ready to prime and assemble ribs.

Today’s Time (hours): 7.0
Wing Time (hours): 45.5
Total Time (hours): 256.5

 

More rib work

I set the spars on the work benches opposite one another and removed all the bolts.

img_2266

It went a lot quicker when I remembered I had an impact driver in the tool box.

img_2267

There are a whole bunch of bolts in the spars.

img_2268

Back to the ribs… Deburring holes and dimpling the bottom flanges.

img_2271

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 38.5
Total Time (hours): 249.5

 

Work on the ribs continues

Netflix and scuff! Sophie deburred and scuffed all the ribs while I was traveling this week. Awesome job!

img_2252

I fluted and straightened all the ribs.

img_2261

I assembled and final drilled #30 the torque tube bracket assemblies.

img_2256

I clecoed the torque tube bracket assemblies to the inboard-most ribs and final drilled them to the rib webs.

img_2257

I clecoed the flap brackets and flap bracket ribs to the inboard and outboard wing ribs and natch drilled all the #30 holes.

img_2260

 

Today’s Time (hours): 10.0
Wing Time (hours): 34.5
Total Time (hours): 245.5

 

Rinse, repeat, right spar complete

Match drilled the J channel to the spar.

img_2217

Machine countersunk the nutplate attach holes.

img_2220

 

Riveted in the nutplates

img_2221

 

Countersunk the screw holes.

img_2222

 

Machine countersunk all the skin attach holes.

img_2229

 

Riveted in the nutplates at the tip end of the spar.

img_2225

 

Riveted the doubler to the spar and installed the tank attach nutplates.

img_2226

 

Final drilled, deburred, scuffed and primed the aileron bell crank brackets

img_2224

Installed and torqued the aileron bell crank brackets.

img_2230

Right spar done!

img_2231

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 21.5
Total Time (hours): 232.5

 

Left spar complete

Riveted the spar to the doubler with the 5 AN470 rivets using the squeezer. Then shot the tank attach nutplates using the gun.

img_2211

Final drilled and deburred the left aileron brackets.

img_2212

 

Scuffed and primed the aileron brackets with rattle can.

img_2213.jpg

 

Installed and torqued the aileron brackets to the spar.

img_2214.jpg

 

Put up the left spar and moved the right spar to the bench. Hopefully I’ll get that one knocked out tomorrow.

img_2215

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 17.0
Total Time (hours): 228.0