Started attachment of elevators to horizontal stabilizer

Screwed the rod end bearings into the elevator forward spar.

img_2028

Fitting the right side was very tight. I’m sure theres a proper tool to do this but I ended up using a cresent wrench to twist the bearings. There was no way I could do it by hand.

img_2027

On the left side I couldn’t even get the threads to engage. On close inspection I discovered that the nut plates were a hair off center from the hole in the spar and reinforcement plate.  I enlarged the hole by a 16th being careful not to damage the nut plate. Then I  was able to get them screwed in with the cresent wrench. I screwed them in to the measurement called out in the plans.

57083714467__846fca30-fec6-4337-930e-493c67b1bf7e

I temporarily attached the left elevator to the horizontal stabilizer. I checked the clearance of the forward edge at the maximal up and down deflections. I used a digital level to fin the maximal deflection points. I had remove the elevator and backed the rod end bearings out three turns to get the necessary clearance.

img_2030

I used a clamp to lightly hold the elevator in the trailing position to locate the pivot hole in the elevator horn.

img_2031

I made a spacing block as called for in the plans and clamped it in place. I then honed down the drill bushing to get a snug fit in the bearing and used it to drill a #30 hole in the elevator.

img_2032

img_2033

I enlarged the hole hole to 1/4″ with a step drill and deburred the hole. Then repeated this whole process on the right elevator.

img_2034

I reattached both elevators to the horizontal stabilizer. I used the appropriate hardware to make up the center hinge. It was extremely challenging getting the washers between the horns and the edges of the bearing. I ended up taping the washers to a small piece of scrap aluminum and using it to shoehorn the washers in place. Then I lightly clamped both elevators into the trailing position.

img_2035

I measured and marked the location for the control attach hole on the right elevator and drilled a #40 hole and final drilled it to #12.

img_2036

Tomorrow I’ll make a guide block and match drill the hole to the other horn.

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Empennage Time (hours): 189.0
Total Time (hours): 189.0

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s