Finished wiring the GEA 24, GAD 29, and GAD 25

Made up harnesses for the TO/GA button and panel light dimmer switches. I mounted them back in the center panel and wired the corresponding connectors under the panel. I used micro molex connectors to make the connections.

 

I received the stranded thermocouple wire I ordered from McMaster Carr. SO I was able to finish wiring up the GEA 24.

 

I wired up the GAD 29.

img_4554

 

I wired up the GAD 27.

 

Making progress. Glad I made this wiring list.  It’s been super helpful as a reference and to keep track of my progress. The terminations highlighted in green are complete.

img_4563

 

Today’s Time (hours): 10.0
Finish Kit (hours): 138.0
Total Time (hours): 868.0

 

Wiring Continues

Haven’t posted in a while but making steady progress.

Made a wiring harness for the TO/GA switch.

img_4539

 

Wired up the canopy harness.

img_4542

 

Relocated the GAD 27, GAD 29, and GEA 24.

 

Made up two of the four connectors for the GEA 24. Had to re-order the thermocouple wire for the EGT and CHT connections. I accidentally ordered solid wire instead of stranded. Connecting the engine to the airframe, there’s enough motion in those wires that I wasn’t comfortable using the solid wire. It probably would take long for it to work harden and break.

 

SO. MANY. WIRES!!!

img_4548

So glad i borrowed Jared’s engine stand rotisserie. I can’t imagine doing this with the airframe upright.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 8.0
Finish Kit (hours): 128.0
Total Time (hours): 858.0

 

Began work on panel

Mocked up the center panel in plexi. Used the Dremel with a cutoff wheel to make the cuts.

 

Mocked up the pilot-side panel in plexi. I used a fly cutter in the drill press to cut the 3 1/8″ hole for the G5. I centered the ignition/starter switch under the G5 and placed the electronic ignition power switches above the ignition switch. I’ll only need one for now as the engine came with one mag and one P-mag. But I’m making accommodations to switch out the mag for a second p-mag in the future. I grouped the switches along the bottom into logical groupings based upon function. Master and Aux Batt on the left, then boost pump, then lights (landing, nav, strobe), then pitot heat and defroster. I mounted a momentary push button in the center panel right above where the throttle will be. This will be for the AP’s TOGA function.

 

I laid out the final design on the actual metal blank. I made a couple of alterations. I took the time to better align the G5, Ignition, and P-mag switches. I also moved the row of switches below the GDU downward by 1/4″

img_4027

 

Committed the center panel to metal. I used the plexi as a template and drew the cutouts onto the panel. Then I cut it with the Dremel. I fit and fiddled with it using files and many trial fittings. I used files to cut small notches for the GTN’s side guides and for the pall on the bottom of the GTR 200 to make it easier to insert and remove. I’ll likely add a panel light dimmer switch to the center panel at some point. I just haven’t acquired the switch yet.

img_4028

 

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Avionics Time (hours): 18.0
Total Time (hours): 693.5