Work on cowl continues

Match drilled the top and bottom cowls to the cowl hinges.

 

I disassembled the cowls, deburred all the holes in all the hinges. I coated the inside of both cowl halves with thin coating of resin to seal it all up.

img_4851

 

Riveted all the hinges to the cowl halves

 

Trimmed and sanded the fiberglass inlet ramps and fit them to the top cowl. They gat match drilled to the cowl core just deep enough to hold a cleco to clamp it in place for bonding with epoxy and flox. I didn’t get any pics of the bonding process and I put it back on the fuse to cure before I could get a shot of the finished product.

 

I did decide to get the oil door done once the epoxy set up sufficiently. It was a pretty straightforward process.

 

 

I reinstalled the spinner. She’s coming along!

img_4949-1

 

Just have to drill the attachment holes on the bottom of the cowl and blend in the inlet ramps and the cowl will be complete.

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 14.0
Finish kit (hours): 267.0
Total Time (hours): 1001.0

Did the Nasty

Decided to just get this out of the way tonight…

IMG_1836

I went through three changes of gloves and still managed to get it on my hands.

Prepped the scuffed surfaces with isopropyl.

IMG_1835

Sealed the trialing edge ribs in place. Peeled the tape and stuck the top skins to the trailing edges. Weighted down the aft section to ensure good bond of the skins to the ribs. The sealer cures in six hours according to the data sheet. So should be riveting the trailing edge and finishing up tomorrow.

IMG_1837

Bent the trim tab hinge pin per the plans.

IMG_1838

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Empennage Time (hours): 119.5
Total Time (hours): 119.5