Bottom Skins Complete

Received the new quick-disconnect terminals and replaced the bad ones. Then I final-installed the pitot tube into the wing and hooked up the plumbing and the electrical. Had to uninstall and reinstall the aileron push tube so that I could get my hands in there.

 

Reinstalled and torqued the aileron push tube in the right wing and installed the aileron trim. Getting those springs on is tricky. I also took the time to bend the actuator arm aft a bit. I just saw a picture on VAF where someone’s springs had almost worn completely through the push tube. Plenty of clearance now. No rubbing.

 

Riveted the nut plates for the right wing inboard fairings and inspections plates.

 

Almost done! Just the wingtips left to do.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 285.0
Total Time (hours): 437.0

 

Fitted the aileron trim and inboard bottom skins

I finished inventorying and stowing parts from the fuselage kit and avionics.

Crimped the pins onto the aileron trim wires, added a heat shrink tube, and inserted them into the molex connector.

img_2987

 

I centered the set the aileron trim using a 9-volt battery to drive the servo. I set the  assembly in place on the wing and set the aileron to the neutral position. Then I marked the point where the aileron trim arm rested over the  push tube. I remove the push tube and located the tabs 6 inches either side of the center mark. I match drilled and blind riveted them to the push tube. I attached the springs to the tabs.

 

I clecoed the inboard bottom skins in place on the wings. Ready to rivet.

img_2985

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.0
Wing Time (hours): 264.0
Total Time (hours): 416.0

 

Pitot mast fit and all remaining wing parts prepped for primer and assembly

Cut, deburred, dimpled, and scuffed all the remaining wing parts to prep for priming. This included the aileron trim, the aileron push tubes, the inspection covers, and the wing tip ribs.

Fabricated a bracket to secure the pitot mounting bracket to the wing rib.Drilled the holes in the mounting bracket to match the holes in the rib. Then match drilled the new rib bracket to the mounting bracket and the rib. Match drilled everything to the skin and cut out the hole for the pitot mast using 1/2″ drill, Dremel, files, and sand paper. Pleased with how everything came out. Should be nice and secure once everything is riveted together.

 

Dimpled and scuffed the skins. Everything is ready for primer and assembly.

 

Ordered avionics and hoping to get the A/P servo, pitot tube, and magnetometer installed before closing up the wings. I also ordered tubing for the AOA line and wire for the pitot heat. Hopefully I’ll have everything and be able to get the wings buttoned up next week.

Today’s Time (hours): 6.0
Wing Time (hours): 239.0
Total Time (hours): 391.0