Got the gear and engine mounted and moved to the garage!

Special thank you to Jared, Wes, Scott, and Remy for all their help on Saturday! We got the fuselage out of the basement, Got the main gear attached and wheeled it around the house, up the hill, and into the garage. Then we bolted on the engine mount and nose gear on.

 

Mounted the battery and starter relays to the firewall along with the associated fuse and ammeter shunt. Mounted the MAP, oil pressure, and fuel pressure sensors. Jared and Wes added all of the fittings to the Engine and we bolted it to the mount.

 

With the relays wired, I threw the aster switch and everything lit up! No smoke. Yay.

img_4667

 

Today’s Time (hours): 16.0
Finish kit (hours): 191.0
Total Time (hours): 925.0

 

More work on the landing gear

Primed the upper gear braces and gear attach angles.

img_4622

 

Split the nose wheel. Stuffed the tube into the tire and semi-inflated it. Put the tire and tube on the heels and bolted them back together.

 

Packed the bearings using my handy dandy bearing packer and reinstalled them into the wheel. Did a similar job on the main gear wheels. The main gear bearings were packed in a preservative grease. So I cleaned them with solvent dried them with compressed air, and repacked them with Aeroshell 22.

 

All three wheels assembled.

img_4629

 

I upgraded the nose gear wheel and axle to Matco. The axle has a bolt that keeps the axle from rotating. So I drilled a hole in the fork to accommodate.  I temporarily assembled the fork and axle to keep everything together.

 

I installed the gear attach angles and the upper gear braces. I loosely installed the gear attach bars. I should be able to just bolt the gear legs in and tighten them up.

img_4637

 

Next step is to clean the garage and relocate the fuselage from the basement. It won’t fit through the door once the gear is attached.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 8.0
Finish kit (hours): 175.0
Total Time (hours): 909.0